Best cost-efficient organic/non-crumble/non-pellet chicken feed?

New Country organics is better and cheaper than scratch and peck- in my opinion. I also love Nature crest, it's non-GMO and soy free. I get it for $15//50lbs,.
Do you ferment your feed or offer it dry only?

I have been fermenting the Scratch&Peck and the girls seem to really like it . . . supposedly it makes everything easier to digest, they get more water, feed expands, and they don't waste the "dust" etc b/c it is wet (think oatmeal) and does not fling everywhere.

Scratch&Peck IS pricy tho - - - so I am considering a switch. Calling a local store shortly listed as being a Nature Crest dealer and see what they have . . .
I do not see anything super local with New Country Organics - - - it is possible to order direct but the shipping adds a lot to the price (as expected).

Do you ferment your feed or offer it dry only?

I have been fermenting the Scratch&Peck and the girls seem to really like it . . . supposedly it makes everything easier to digest, they get more water, feed expands, and they don't waste the "dust" etc b/c it is wet (think oatmeal) and does not fling everywhere.

Scratch&Peck IS pricy tho - - - so I am considering a switch. Calling a local store shortly listed as being a Nature Crest dealer and see what they have . . .
I do not see anything super local with New Country Organics - - - it is possible to order direct but the shipping adds a lot to the price (as expected).
I don't ferment as I have had bad luck with it. It's just that I'm OCD and very paranoid, so a whiff of a bad smell, and I worry it goes bad. Though, I don't actually know what the "correct "smell is. I do soak it for 30 mins though, and they love it! I gotcha on the price of NCO, the actual food is cheaper than other places, but then you add shipping and it jacks it up. I buy it at tsc, but only sometimes as my girls don't like the peas as much.

Are you in GA? Me too!! I buy the Corn-free one, but I haven't gotten it in a couple of months. Mine prefer Nature Crest, which is ok with me, as it is cheaper.
Yes, I'm in GA. Northeast of ATL in Jackson County. I think there are a few feed stores that have Nature Crest (Tucker Milling) . . . are you using the pellet or the scratch or both?

I have been enjoying fermenting - - - I don't think I'll worry about it when I am out of town and have someone checking on them, but its fun for now, they seem to like it, and it is really cutting down on their waste.

I think I have found a couple New Country Organics outlets around here so I may try that too - - - I have decided Scratch & Peck is so expensive here because of shipping cross country - seems these other two are made closer (VA and AL).

Back
Top Bottom