Best coup design for small backyard in Central Florida

You really think these ready-made local coups are price effective? I don't have carpentry skills, but my father does and often likes to build things - problem is my mother hates the idea of me having chickens - so she'll likely fuss at him if he tries to make the coup. *chuckles*

I thought many of the coups looked awesome - but most I'm looking at for four birds are at least $300 - way over my price range.

You are just south of us. The only local coops you will find listed on Craig's list will start at $120/140 and go up to over $600. The cheaper wont hold 4 hens though. Most people dont move their coop around from location to another. Only tractor style are moved about.

Being in FL, you will need to be looking at an open coop design that allows good air flow, and protection from the rains. Fully enclosed coops (like many you see pictured on here) are more northern in nature.

Hoop houses make a great FL coop. There are many examples of them on here and by searching google for Chicken Hoop houses.

I was thinking the same thing - about needing lots of ventilation rather than some of the "barn" style coops - being as half the year, or more, we have temps around 90 degrees - ugg. And I saw a few of the coups on Craig's list - one was really awesome but $400 - and looked to be big enough - the rest looked like they could hold two hens at the most.

I guess what is throwing me is - it seems so cray that it would cost so much money to build something for just a few egg laying birds - seems weird that I'd have to spend $500 or $600 to set up four birds who will eventually be giving me - maybe $5 of eggs each week. Of course - for pets - at least they are providing some food - our guinea pigs certainly don't - nor do our dogs ... so I guess I have to look at it similarly.

Then I got to thinking - what will I do for the next hurricane ... I am guessing the chickens could be kept inside for a few days - but holy cow, I had never even considered that until just today watching an agriculture video at UF about raising chickens. What DO you do with your chickens during big storms?

lol we have over 100 animals on property at any time. Geese, ducks, chickens, rabbits, goats, dogs. Stalls, moveable coops/houses and cages the rabbits and ornamental ducks can be put in in case of a storm. 4 hens would easily live in a large bird cage or dog kennel in a garage, storage shed ect for a few days for a storm. Use screw in anchors and hurricane straps to hold their full time coop in place.

Hey There!

I am in Central Florida, too! I have 2 RIR's and a barred rock--3 chickens total. They did great with the heat this summer; their coop is completely shaded, though. I built my coop with scrap wood. With screws and hardware cloth I probably spent $150-200. I am not anywhere near a carpenter (I am a music teacher) but was pretty happy with my results. I am loving the chickens and my kids are too! Just today I was talking to someone in Sanford, FL who gives my school eggs to hatch each year. Let me know if you need contacts in our area.

I maintain a large flock between 200 and 300 birds. Ventilation is very important. Here are my coops. Much more than what you would need but well ventilated.

Hey There!

I am in Central Florida, too! I have 2 RIR's and a barred rock--3 chickens total. They did great with the heat this summer; their coop is completely shaded, though. I built my coop with scrap wood. With screws and hardware cloth I probably spent $150-200. I am not anywhere near a carpenter (I am a music teacher) but was pretty happy with my results. I am loving the chickens and my kids are too! Just today I was talking to someone in Sanford, FL who gives my school eggs to hatch each year. Let me know if you need contacts in our area.

Love your coop!

Hey There!

Oh I would love some contacts in our area - and your coop looks AMAZING for being made by a music teacher with scrap wood - wish I could do wonders like that.

Fact is, I've never seen a backyard coop - ever, not in person - and so I'm a bit nervous that I really have no idea how it all works ... despite reading everything I can get my hands on.

Maybe you could get a friend and between you come up with something. Sometimes two heads are better than one and you can bounce ideas off of each other.
frow.gif
idunno.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom