Best Deworming Method

I never dewormed. Never noticed anything that seemed to be a huge worm problem. Never used any real medicines or pesticides with my chickens so far.
Deworming is bad for a chickens health if worms aren’t the problem.

I do add DE in their dustbath spot. DE seems to kill the larvae of many lice. I don’t know what it does with the worms.

I do wonder what makes the feces look like that.
The veterinary studies of home flocks, say that on average every flock has at least 3 types of worms. Once I saw the chickens and ducks at poultry shows, I realized how important regular dewormings really are. It's simply a waste of food and nutrition to not deworm them. The parasites rob the bird of their food and vitamins and in the long run shorten their lives. We now deworm twice a year and my birds look so much better! I love mine too much to let them suffer and decline ahead of time.

The veterinary studies of home flocks, say that on average every flock has at least 3 types of worms. Once I saw the chickens and ducks at poultry shows, I realized how important regular dewormings really are. It's simply a waste of food and nutrition to not deworm them. The parasites rob the bird of their food and vitamins and in the long run shorten their lives. We now deworm twice a year and my birds look so much better! I love mine too much to let them suffer and decline ahead of time.
This is certainly not true for chickens that free range.

An institute for organic chickens : Louis Bolk and the Wageningen University & Research did research on this subject. The conclusion was : it has no benefit to treat a low worm infestation. A normal healthy chicken can cope with it. Only if it becomes so bad that it in itself harms the health of the chickens it’s wise to treat with medicines.

Research paper is in Dutch, but you can use Chatgtp or google translate. https://www.louisbolk.nl/sites/default/files/publication/pdf/1480.pdf
The article (short version): https://www.louisbolk.nl/sites/default/files/publication/pdf/1477.pdf
Another article in a magazine for poultry:
https://www.pluimveeweb.nl/artikel/...s-kippen-uitloop-veel-en-verspreid-gebruiken/

This is certainly not true for chickens that free range.

An institute for organic chickens : Louis Bolk and the Wageningen University & Research did research on this subject. The conclusion was : it has no benefit to treat a low worm infestation. A normal healthy chicken can cope with it. Only if it becomes so bad that it in itself harms the health of the chickens it’s wise to treat with medicines.

Research paper is in Dutch, but you can use Chatgtp or google translate. https://www.louisbolk.nl/sites/default/files/publication/pdf/1480.pdf
The article (short version): https://www.louisbolk.nl/sites/default/files/publication/pdf/1477.pdf
Another article in a magazine for poultry:
https://www.pluimveeweb.nl/artikel/...s-kippen-uitloop-veel-en-verspreid-gebruiken/
I know years back I had a small worm problem when I had a flock of 6, and I was a bear to get rid of. But I also know one by one those birds visibly started to degrade until they were rid of them. It was too long ago to remember specifics.

So my hands on knowledge isn't that great, but we do keep goats and I know you positively don't want to treat for worms unless you know they have worms. May or may not be comparable.

I'm going to choke this article down and go to sleep doing so 🤣

If their feet touch the ground, they're going to get worms just like any other animal.
Getting worms isn’t the issue. Giving medicines them yes or no , and why , is.
If a chicken gets sicker of the medicines than letting their own health system handling it, it’s a no go to deworm.
If you give the deworming medicines once it seem you have to keep using them because the ‘immunity’ is gone after a cure.

I don’t know what’s wise to do with chickens kept in small run/ in captivity. Or when other farm animals use the same ground. I do have wild birds and cats coming in the garden and in the run.
I never gave medicines to my chickens. And none of my adult Dutch died with health problems. The oldest are 8 and 9 years.

I have yet have a chicken get sick from a wormer. Worms weaken the immune system, opening the door for diseases to take over. I've seen it happen, it has happened with members in this forum.

I've been using the same wormers, primarily benzimidazoles, for years and years and havnt experienced resistance.
Ivermectin is showing resistance in certain areas due to its overuse as a miteacide rather than its primary purpose as a wormer.
I've notified others in this forum about Ivermectin.
I've had birds live for many years as well.
Chickens kept on the same ground/penned need to be wormed routinely since rotating forage areas may not be possible.

I have yet have a chicken get sick from a wormer. Worms weaken the immune system, opening the door for diseases to take over. I've seen it happen, it has happened with members in this forum.

I've been using the same wormers, primarily benzimidazoles, for years and years and havnt experienced resistance.
Ivermectin is showing resistance in certain areas due to its overuse as a miteacide rather than its primary purpose as a wormer.
I've notified others in this forum about Ivermectin.
I've had birds live for many years as well.
Chickens kept on the same ground/penned need to be wormed routinely since rotating forage areas may not be possible.
I have safeguard 4 for dogs on hand with fendbenzadole as it’s active ingredient. Fo tapeworms, roundworms, hookworms and whipworms. It instructs for canine is22.7mg/lb of body weight. Would it be the same for chickens per lb or different? Would I put in water with corrid or what would I do to make sure individual birds would get proper amount. Do I need to clean out coop? I clean the coop every am and run every am and sometimes pm. Wood chips in the run and shavings in the coop. Hens are 5 months old and just started laying now…….

I have safeguard 4 for dogs on hand with fendbenzadole as it’s active ingredient. Fo tapeworms, roundworms, hookworms and whipworms. It instructs for canine is22.7mg/lb of body weight. Would it be the same for chickens per lb or different? Would I put in water with corrid or what would I do to make sure individual birds would get proper amount. Do I need to clean out coop? I clean the coop every am and run every am and sometimes pm. Wood chips in the run and shavings in the coop. Hens are 5 months old and just started laying now…….
First ... Do you know what type of worms you're trying to treat?

Second, are you sure this is safe and allowed for poultry? Can you still eat the eggs without poisoning yourself?

Back
Top Bottom