Best Deworming Method

mb929

In the Brooder
Nov 9, 2022
I have seen conflicting opinions about the best deworming methods… Some people saying DE in the food works great, other saying DE does not work at all. I would love to hear what people do as a deworming method for their chickens… I’m really only worried about one of my chickens having worms. I have already treated them for coccidiosis a while ago just in case but I am still seeing this yellow foamy poop from one. thanks in advance for any information !

Attachments

• DC49C69D-B3ED-4F03-B38F-88DFA71C0A33.jpeg
    DC49C69D-B3ED-4F03-B38F-88DFA71C0A33.jpeg
    921.7 KB · Views: 831
  • 81A5D300-054F-4DC9-ADCB-707EFA1929E7.jpeg
    81A5D300-054F-4DC9-ADCB-707EFA1929E7.jpeg
    791.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 4C3FE8A8-7DCB-46A1-9E8E-37F850B202C1.jpeg
    4C3FE8A8-7DCB-46A1-9E8E-37F850B202C1.jpeg
    818.3 KB · Views: 30
DE does NOT work for worms.

Anyone who tells you different doesn't know how DE works. Its a purely mechanical, not chemical, process.

Deworming requires an anthelmintic , which one to use depends on which worms your birds have - but Fenbendazole is the most common go to, because its highly effective on the most common worms in our chickens. There are others which are more effective in other animals (levamasole, Ivermectin), or certain worms, but Fenbendazole is most popular for birds.

Last edited:
You may find people who claim pumpkin seeds work (they are also effective on heffalumps, woozles, pooka, and unicorns!). Yes, pumpkin seeds contain TRACE amounts of compounds known to have anthelmintic properties. TRACE. Highly variable, as well. How are you going to get the dosage right? The same claims are made of alliums (garlic, scapes, onions, etc). With the same caveat.

I have always used Valbazen (albendazole) for worming my chickens. Although it is more expensive in 500 ml bottles, it goes a long way, only 2 doses 10-14 days apart are needed, but you can share it with other friends. It is used also in humans, so can chose to do a 14 day egg withdrawal or not. I have eaten the eggs after treating with no I’ll affects. Dosage is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) for bantams or 1/2 ml for large breed chickens 4-6 pounds, or to be more accurate give 0.08 ml per pound of weight once and repeat it in 10-14 days to get any worm larvae that have hatched. It works gradually over a few days, so very safe to use for cattle, sheep, and poultry. Valbazen is in some feed stores, but can be easily ordered online.

SafeGuard liquid goat wormer which needs to be used for 5 straight days 1/4 ml per pound of weight given orally, is more easily available in stores, and costs a bit less for a small bottle.

You can order it from TSC to be picked up at the store or order from Jefferspet or Valleyvet online:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/valbazn-cattle-dewormer-liquid-810

https://www.jefferspet.com/valbazen-oral-suspension-500ml-w-cap/p

I have seen conflicting opinions about the best deworming methods… Some people saying DE in the food works great, other saying DE does not work at all. I would love to hear what people do as a deworming method for their chickens… I’m really only worried about one of my chickens having worms. I have already treated them for coccidiosis a while ago just in case but I am still seeing this yellow foamy poop from one. thanks in advance for any information !
DE is worthless.

What exactly do you feed your flock?

DE does NOT work for worms.

Anyone who tells you different doesn't know how DE works. Its a purely mechanical, not chemical, process.

Deworming requires an anthelmintic , which one to use depends on which worms your birds have - but Fenbendazole is the most common go to, because its highly effective on the most common worms in our chickens. There are others which are more effective in other animals (levamasole, Ivermectin), or certain worms, but Fenbendazole is most popular for birds.
Thank you for the information! That is definitely what I’m hearing more of now with DE

I have always used Valbazen (albendazole) for worming my chickens. Although it is more expensive in 500 ml bottles, it goes a long way, only 2 doses 10-14 days apart are needed, but you can share it with other friends. It is used also in humans, so can chose to do a 14 day egg withdrawal or not. I have eaten the eggs after treating with no I’ll affects. Dosage is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) for bantams or 1/2 ml for large breed chickens 4-6 pounds, or to be more accurate give 0.08 ml per pound of weight once and repeat it in 10-14 days to get any worm larvae that have hatched. It works gradually over a few days, so very safe to use for cattle, sheep, and poultry. Valbazen is in some feed stores, but can be easily ordered online.

SafeGuard liquid goat wormer which needs to be used for 5 straight days 1/4 ml per pound of weight given orally, is more easily available in stores, and costs a bit less for a small bottle.

You can order it from TSC to be picked up at the store or order from Jefferspet or Valleyvet online:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/valbazn-cattle-dewormer-liquid-810

https://www.jefferspet.com/valbazen-oral-suspension-500ml-w-cap/p
Great info - I really appreciate it! Thank you!

I have seen yellow cecal poops as well, and in picture 3, it looks like a mix of both normal poop and cecal. They tend to have cecal droppings a few times a day. It is shiny, smelly, and color may vary from yellow, gold, to brown or black.
Good to know!! Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom