Best dog breed and how to start a puppy

MO4-HGirl

Hatching
6 Years
May 16, 2013
SW MIssouri
I have free range chickens and am thinking about getting a puppy and want to know the best breeds and tips on how to train it to not chase and eat chickens. Tonight someone gave me an adult male great Pyrenees. He seemed very loving and sweet but he ended up being a chicken eater. It made me very sad :(

Well all my dogs don't mind the chickens. All the dogs I've had didn't mind them either. My Shih Zue ca be a little rough, I wouldn't request a Terrier. My Border Collie (She recently died
hit.gif
) got along GREAT with the chickens. I would get an Australian Sheperd or a Border Collie. I request a Sheep Dog, they were bred to be gentle around animals. My Yellow Lab gets along with the chickens but, I don't know about other Labs cause they are hunting dogs so... Well I think you should get Border Collie or an Australian Sheperd.
Good Luck!

I think most dogs, regardless of breed are going to chase/kill chickens initially if given the chance. in my case, I have two german shepherds. the female was a year old when she killed ten of my half grown chickens. she didn't try to eat them, she just played them to death.
I was so upset I wouldn't talk to her, pet her, interact with her at all for several days. she's never offered to come near one of the chickens again. I currently have babies running around loose. she pays them no attention at all. the older male german shepherd has never offered to do anything to them. he has known from the beginning they are mine and therefore, leave them alone.
I know german shepherds are not for everyone, but I needed them for protection. they are brilliant dogs who comprehend as much as a three year old child would - they just shed more than a wooly mammoth would.

i'm going to get goats soon. it will be interesting how that goes.

If you have roosters in your flock, they/he can set a puppy straight with a few good pecks & kicks! They learn faster with real life experience. I have 2 mutts. My first is a 6 year old Beagle X Boston Terrier. Between 30 & 40 lbs. when he was 2 years old & we got our first chicks, I put a chick up to his nose to sniff. I told him calmly that we are to protect the nice chicks. I repeated this exercise with 3 chicks & he got the message. He's amazing! He chases off coyotes & patrols property regularly. No other training! Then we got a 20 lb pug cross. A great sidekick that chases off foxes! When the older dog sounds the alarm, he heads for the woods out back & the little one barks too, but stays near home to guard the front end. A real dynamic duo! I believe any dog can be trained to do what you want it to do. I was lucky that these 2 made it seem so effortless! Best of luck to you!

My understanding is that they can have a lot of health problems, so you would really want to buy from a reputable breeder. My mom always had them when she was young and they can be very intelligent and trainable.

I have free range chickens and am thinking about getting a puppy and want to know the best breeds and tips on how to train it to not chase and eat chickens. Tonight someone gave me an adult male great Pyrenees. He seemed very loving and sweet but he ended up being a chicken eater. It made me very sad :(
I would stick with the adult male Great Pyrenees. You can break him of habit much quicker than starting with a puppy. Additionally he will give affective protection much faster than starting with puppy.

I was also going to say that my Pyrenees/Anatolian is the most awesome, sweet, calm, vigilant and courageous dog I have ever owned. I'm so sorry for your bad experience with the Pyrenees, but they respond very well to training. It is in their heart and their genes to protect their family/pack animals - but they need to be taught that chickens are not playthings or dinner.

MO4-HGirl, You just got the dog and allowed him the opportunity to kill your chickens? As an Advisor, I am going to help you see that this mistake was on YOU, not the dog. You need to train the dog, any dog. It is unfair for you to put him in this situation with no training and then be disappointed that he doesn't magically know what your expectations are.

Chickens are AWESOME toys for dogs! Chickens move quick, they smell fabulous (to a dog), they are noisy, they flap their wings, run, fly. They are the perfect prey! Can't blame a dog for being a dog. But, you can teach them!

Set your dog up for success. The dog should be around the chickens with no opportunity to harm them (on a lead). Slowly work with your dog to give him an opportunity to learn how to please you, how to be successful at his job.

Look into your 4-H dog program. Learn how to communicate with your dog. You'll be amazed at what you can teach that dog to do!

I don't think one can make a blanket statement about any specific breed or about dogs and chickens in general. Some dogs are easily trained and will be great with chickens of any age. Some other dogs, no matter what you do, will never be trustworthy. Yes, some breeds may have a higher "prey drive" than others, but there are even dogs in those breeds that can be trained. Just as there are individual dogs in the "good for chickens breeds" that will not leave them alone. I agree with Presidential - look into your 4-H dog program and set yourself and your dog up for success.

Back
Top Bottom