Best Dog Breed for My Situation???

kanga2roos

Hatching
11 Years
May 21, 2008
California
We are going to be getting puppies soon and would like some opinions on the best type of dogs to have around chickens, cats and children. In addition to that, it needs to be a large breed dog (to prevent coyote attacks) but also a dog that is not prone to fence climbing or wandering. We have 2 acres but are on a busy road. Electric fencing is not an option right now b/c we have young children.

We had a Rott/Shephard mix that never left our property, but I know she would never have left our chickens alone. She passed away last year.

We also had a Corgi/Shephard/Chow mix who was the happiest dog I've ever had, but he was an expert fence climber and would never have tolerated the chickens or cats. He also was prone to snappiness when my son bothered him too much. His wandering was a tragedy b/c he was hit by a car in January.

We are left with a very smart but old Border/Lab Mix who doesn't like to be inside with us, so I really want to get her some "protection" in her old age. She is great with the kids, cats and chickens. But also is a fence climber. (You should see our fence -- and she still finds a way out. She climbs trees also.) Luckily, as she's gotten older, she rarely leaves our property, but if she has a companion, she likes to roam.

ANY IDEAS??? This time, I probably will not go with a pound puppy b/c 2 or our 3 pound puppies came to us with parvo, which is very common at the shelters in our area. So would rather go with a reputable breeder or adoption home.

I think a good dog for you would be a great pyrennees (sp). A friend of mine has two of them and they are the best dogs they love children and have kept predators away from his chickens many times. The only thing is when I was going to get one from him he said they do better if you have two. I dont really know why but thats what he told me. good luck in finding your new dog
smile.png

large breed herding/stock dogs would be along the lines of pyrenee(sp?), Bernese mountain dog, olde english sheepdog. Newfies are good watchdogs, tend to be sedate and don't wander but are expensive (but VERY good with kids if you have any, just keep them away from water as they LOVE to swim) not suited for warmer climates though. Australian sheep dogs are good as well, little smaller and have a tendency to jump fences though..

german shepards, great pyrenesse you cant expect any puppy to be good around cats you kinda have to get em both young or the a kitten young i also dont reccomend asking on here for a breed you should get a book of breeds and read about the breeds.

Golden Retreiver.

I had a Golden Retriever who loved chicks. When a baby chick got out of the pen, and i mean like 1-2 week old chicks. She stayed right there and wouldnt let anything near it until we put it back in the cage.

I have lived with Herding breeds for 38 yrs, (I'm 41)
all would chase chickens. I would avoid herding breeds most have too much prey drive. That is what makes them good HERDING dogs.
I would look at livestock guardian breeds.

Quote:
Yep, I had one for year ( great pyrennees) around both my kids and my sheep. They love to protect both and are very gentle.

Back
Top Bottom