Best Duck?

Dual purpose as in eggs and meat? Maybe Black Swedish ducks. I don't know for sure.
hu.gif

Pekins are good egg layer and they make up almost 90% of the duck consumed in the United States. Plus they are beautiful. I love my pekins. They are also domesticated so they will not fly.

Quote:
Hm, I never thought of Pekins as good egg layers.
hu.gif
I should get some Pekins, though I do have 2 white crested ducks that are basically crested pekins.

Quote:
Hm, I never thought of Pekins as good egg layers.
hu.gif
I should get some Pekins, though I do have 2 white crested ducks that are basically crested pekins.

I used to have pekins as a kid 2 females and a male plus a breeding pair of mallards. I remember collecting 2-3 eggs everyday and the pekin eggs were obviously bigger than the mallards, and most days there were 2 pekin eggs. I don't know if the quality/place you get them from have anything to do with it or not - which it probably does....Just like with magpies that used to be one of the best layers a long time ago, now have been bred to the point where they produce nearly 1/2 the egg quantity they used to 100+ years ago if I'm remembering my breed history correctly.

Runner ducks are produced for there egg production, and cannot fly either... I have even heard of people using them for meat.....

and I must add they are by far the funniest duck ever
big_smile.png
Love me runners
wink.png

My Saxony hen, Isolde, gives me a huge green egg almost every day, almost all year long. She's a big girl, too, if you want something for meat. I'm very pleased with her.

The very best would be Silver Appleyard or Saxony, but I have known some Pekins that lay a ridiculous amount of eggs and they grow very fast. They are all large meat type birds so they are too heavy to fly. Appleyards are said to lay 220 to 265 eggs a year and Saxony lay 190-240. They are both rare breeds on the LBC's critical list, if you are looking for rare, they are beautiful dual purpose birds and worth the money to purchase them. If you dont want the expense or rarity you might go with Pekins or a medium weigh bird like an Ancona, they dress out around 4 lbs for hens and 6 for boys and mine lay 280+ eggs a year. I think Swedish are about the same size, maybe a little bigger than Ancona, they lay considerably less eggs, around 190 a year.

It depends on what attributes REALLY matter the most to you on which breed you choose. Good luck!

I don't think I would want anything too rare, as I wouldn't feel right about sending them to freezer camp!
hit.gif
Unless I could get a really big flock going and sell them...? Is there a good market for ducks?
Those Silver Appleyard's and Saxony's are just gorgeous! WOW!
droolin.gif

I think we want something a little more geared toward meat production... I was looking at Pekin's but wanted to see if there was anything similar that wasn't all white... Why are those the most eaten? Do they taste the best?LoL

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom