Administrator
BYC Staff
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
Hey All,

I unloaded a bunch of planter boxes into one main planter box and all the girls made a b-line to this newly turned soil. The were in heaven I think.

This got me to thinking: What makes for the absolute best dust bathing material?

Here are some of the suggestions I've seen.

Wood Ash
Sand
Fine / dusty dirt
Diatomaceous earth
What else?

I'd love to get peoples thoughts on:
1) What material mix / proportions would make the absolute, world's best dust bath for chickens?

2) Does temperature outside and in the dust bath mix make a difference? If it is hot outside are the girls going to be looking for cooler dust bathing stuff?

3) Do they just get tired of certain areas no matter how perfect the bath is and look for another spot to try out?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions!

BTW, here are the girls as happy as could be (click for larger image):

Here is our Buff Orp dusting herself. Hard to tell what the picture is with her being so contorted and flailing all over... just looks like a mound of feathers or like something out of the Matrix:

2_chicken-dust-bath.jpg

Our birds and guineas have always seemed to not care if it was hot or not where their dustbaths were, and they always seemed to prefer a light-colored dusty type soil instead of a heavier 'dirt' (if that makes any sense). Now that I've discovered DE, I'll be experimenting with how much to toss in each of the baths they've got scattered around, but so far about a handfull mixed in each one (just barely mixed in, just sort of half-hearted mixed) seems to be working real well. I figure the more 'powdery' the dirt/DE mix, the easier and faster it is to spread through the feathers onto their skin.

No, Karen. That stuff isn't the "food grade". That will irritate their eyes and lungs and isn't good for them or us.
Rob, Slifer had a wallow right by the raised bed and that was HERS! Obelisk and Penny never even went to it.
There's a wallow near the back steps and one in the side near another raised bed. I put DE when I feel like it...LOL

I put sand out for them but they seem to prefer good old Ukiah soil. Our dirt (clay) is very dry b/c it hasn’t rained here in ages.

I haven’t noticed the temp affecting them at all re: dusting. They just seem to do it when they need to.

Mine dust in the run and move from spot to spot. First it’s one corner and they love it, then another. I leave them to it b/c they seem to know a whole lot more about it than I do!

Mine seem to prefer some of the more sandy soil.

Right now they don't care as long as its not mud. It is so wet they have found a sandy spot in the lawn mower shed when they found the door open. They can't hurt anything in there so I let them have thier fun.

Hummm..... think I will put some DE in there.

Back
Top Bottom