Best Egg Layer Award!

Who do you think are the best egg layers?

• Total voters
My best egglayer has been a Black Sex link! She missed very few egg laying days, about every day she laid.

Of course, she screamed her lungs out making me CARRY her (even in snow) to a shed in our yard that had a nice cozy chair in it, thats where she lays eggs at. We brought the chair in the coop but obviously thats a ridiculous idea, the chair must stay in the shed!

My best egglayer has been a Black Sex link! She missed very few egg laying days, about every day she laid.

Of course, she screamed her lungs out making me CARRY her (even in snow) to a shed in our yard that had a nice cozy chair in it, thats where she lays eggs at. We brought the chair in the coop but obviously thats a ridiculous idea, the chair must stay in the shed!
My 2 sexlinks are my best layers too by far! One of my girls will violently peck at me until I hold her. They're such personalities!

ISA Browns. Can't beat one large to extra large brick red egg every single day. They can be pretty bad bullies though to any hens that aren't ISA Browns. And they're made to produce for 2 years, after that are generally culled commercially, so they could live for 4-5 years, but best egg production is in years 1 and 2.

Also, of course, Leghorns. Most breeds developed by breeding with Leghorns will have better egg production frequency than those that aren't.

Best for a short period of time, like firsr 2-3 years? Or best over their lifetime, upwards to 10 years? If you aren’t planning to cull, and are keeping them until they die, my choice would be different than if you are going to cull every 2-3 years and start over.
So what is your choice for non culling long-term hens?

So what is your choice for non culling long-term hens?
I would stick with breeds that lays minimally yet enough, maybe 150-200 eggs per year, over a longer period of time. I would also not use supplemental lighting, as this can cause earlier stopping. If culling at year 3, high production layers would be a better choice for more eggs in a short period of time.

I would stick with breeds that lays minimally yet enough, maybe 150-200 eggs per year, over a longer period of time. I would also not use supplemental lighting, as this can cause earlier stopping. If culling at year 3, high production layers would be a better choice for more eggs in a short period of time.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom