Best Egg Laying Breed that Is not Flighty?

angusb

Songster
13 Years
Jul 24, 2009
I want to get some reliable egg layers, but I've read a bunch of references to the fact that leghorns and Minorcas are flighty. I don't care about egg color, but I would prefer a calmer bird. Any suggestions for a breed that will crank out the eggs with a minimum of fuss? Bonus points for laying through the winter and/or summer.

Thanks!

What about Black Rocks? They are large, calm, hardy birds that lay during the winter. They don't mind the wet and cold. Easy to care for with tough immune systems. They lay brown eggs.

I am sort of biased, but my Dominique's lay really well - they average 3 eggs per 4 hens a day from late winter to mid summer, and late summer to early winter. In the heat and cold and when they molt of course production reduces. But you would need a good strain.

I have Australorps and they would perfectly fit the bill. I took one of my hens to a preschool as part of an "Ag in the Classroom" activity, and she happily laid an egg for one group.

I have had many breeds in the last 5 years, and i think the coronation sussex is one of the best dual purpose birds out there. I have three pullets that started laying in nov, the same time my reds started laying, and they are the same age, and I get 20 eggs a week from the three since they started. They feather out quicker than any breed i've had and are a very laid back non aggressive bird. I have heard they do go broody, so, i can only speak about them for the 9 or 10 months i've had them.

look for breeds like stars (red or black), sexlinks, and production reds. They are all bred for cranking out eggs, and they tend to be less flighty than the mediteranian breeds

Back
Top Bottom