Best Electric Chicken Fence

Actually, the nice gentleman I read a lot from on here just sprayed Round-Up weed killer along where he was going to put the fence. Brilliant!
I have only had mine up since Sept., so haven't needed to mow, but I plan on just moving the fence in or shifting it completely when it gets long.
i would be worried my chickens would eat the grass that had been sprayed and get sick...they like to eat everything they shouldn't lol.

Hey Folks,

Well, I have the lot cleared of trees and debris. There are still some leaves and sticks on the ground that need to be raked up. I am about ready to install the fence. I was wondering if anyone has tried putting something underneath the fence to prevent grass from growing underneath it. Roofing shingles come to mind as a possible grass control that is heavy and thick. Would anyone mind pitching in their words of wisdom?

Thanks so much,

Jim
i think that would work great if you had enough to do the entire perimeter...the grass won't grow through that!

I would assume we have raccoons? I've seen them dead alongside the roads locally...but none in the fenced in area yet. Fingers crossed!! I think they're locked down pretty well (big old pony shed converted to a coop), but I would rather not test that out!!

I would assume we have raccoons? I've seen them dead alongside the roads locally...but none in the fenced in area yet. Fingers crossed!! I think they're locked down pretty well (big old pony shed converted to a coop), but I would rather not test that out!!
yeah, raccoon can be tough...they are really smart. Hope you don't have a problem
fl.gif
One place we lived at had them all over...we had to trap them and relocate them an hour away...we got like 15...couldn't use a gun in the city :)

yeah, raccoon can be tough...they are really smart. Hope you don't have a problem
fl.gif
One place we lived at had them all over...we had to trap them and relocate them an hour away...we got like 15...couldn't use a gun in the city :)

Could you euthanize them?

Hi Folks,

Thanks to your excellent help the chicken fence is up and running (for about 24 - hours now). The chickens have already learned to stay away from it I think but believe they may need a few more reminders. Is it ok if the fence makes an arcing sound at a place or two? Whenever I hear the noise I rectify the problem by raking away leaves and raising the fence a little. However if it starts arcing overnight and arcs for several hours will it weaken the fence structure or overheat the conductors?

Thank you for all of the help. I truly enjoy chatting with the kind people on this forum.

Happy New Year !!!

Jim

The fencer I had for my horses would do the same thing. It's okay, because that kills back the vegetation and keeps it off the fence. My fencer was fused so if something got across it and was conducting, the fuse would blow and save the fencer.

Fingers crossed, we've had no breach of the fence yet!
Glad it's up and running, Jim! Ours makes that ticking sound and even arcs a bit (shown at night) but the fence still tests in the appropriate range. I actually like the sound and the blinking light on the Kube because it reminds me and the kids it's still on and working!
I'm convinced the sound is also a deterrent to other animals. Kind of a warning sound!
Hope you like it! I seriously don't know if I would have gotten chickens if we couldn't get this fence. And backyardchickens.com research is what helped me the most!
Loving having three sections connected at this point! Will be taking one section and enclosing a new coop of pullets this spring.
33 Eggs in the incubator due on Monday or Tuesday!! Fun!! :)

If your electric fencing is 'arcing', it is shorting out! You call the manufacturer and ask them what kind of damage will happen from arcing. If it was my fence, I would be fixing the problem before the fence gets permanent damaged.

Electric fences are high voltage/ low current. Arcing is not a short, it's electricity jumping a gap. The danger to the fencing unit is if you have the sort of fence that gradually increases the charge the longer something is touching it, in which case you need a fused unit. The arcing or popping sound is typically from a bug or a leaf or something of that nature. Once the leaf has been zapped enough, it will die away from the point of contact. A bug will die and fall off. No need to worry. This is how it works, at least as I recall. Some electric fencers will proclaim that they kill grass and weeds and that's how they do it.

Hope this helps.

Kittie

Back
Top Bottom