Best feed for my hens to lay hatching quality eggs

We currently have the layer pellet, we felt like too much of the crumble was being lost on the ground.
I like the idea of the boiled eggs & I'm pretty sure the girls will too.
Oh...what incubator do you use? I'm shopping for a new one.
Girl.... save yourself some money and just get that cheap Chinese 12 egg incubator for less than $60!! No need for ridiculous eye-gouging overpriced R-Com or Brinsea or whatever, just get this one and you're good to go! Check out the reviews with the Amazon link I'm about to post..... but you can buy it for cheaper on Ebay.

LINK HERE : https://www.amazon.com/Incubator-Di...d=1536625287&sr=8-3&keywords=12+egg+incubator

Last edited:
The Chinese incubators catch fire, don't do that. I use a HovaBator 1602
No, they don't....... where the hell did you get that? I read 1 review that said something like the cord melted but it was another different Chinese incubator. Besides, when you're dealing with electrical appliances you're gonna have a few lemons that breaks down but to say that they all 'catch fire'..... now, that is just BS.

Oh...what incubator do you use? I'm shopping for a new one.
If you're on a budget... my 1602N (no turner or fan) works really well... with blankets added to the outside. Working the wafer isn't too hard. There are no built in bells and whistles.

My 1588 also is fantastic with a fan and turner. It has temp and humidity display, but should always be backed up by calibrated equipment.. It does seem to hold it's temp more stable than the 1602N which fluctuates slightly with room temp. DON'T waste money buying one that sets only 12... You can always set less eggs in the bigger bators but you can't set more in the small ones. Plus I add water bottle heat sinks... to help hold temp in case of power outage. I thought oh God, who needs to set 40+ eggs?! Turns out... I do. :oops: I now have 3 incubators that ran almost all year non stop. :eek: I use 1 or 2 as hatchers and set new eggs every 4-7 days.

What I won't recommend is the double stack 90+ egg bator for around $75 on Ebay... that gives my cruddiest hatches and requires the most amount of manipulation. If it's a clear plastic box... you know it doesn't have any insulation. I still get hatches from that one... but never as good. It is nice that it has humidity and temp display and it also has a day count down timer... and one whistle I kinda like... an alarm that goes off when the humidity drops too low or temp goes too high.

If funds aren't an issue for you... then I'm sure there are nicer ones.

My hatching chicks have less sticking issue in still air than circulated, but that might be related to my incubation evaporation/shell color. I like the forced air for incubating but prefer still air for hatching. And got my VERY best hatch rates in the still air, hand turning... maybe I was just less sloppy in the beginning (also less experimental). Good luck finding one you like. :)

If you're on a budget... my 1602N (no turner or fan) works really well... with blankets added to the outside. Working the wafer isn't too hard. There are no built in bells and whistles.

My 1588 also is fantastic with a fan and turner. It has temp and humidity display, but should always be backed up by calibrated equipment.. It does seem to hold it's temp more stable than the 1602N which fluctuates slightly with room temp. DON'T waste money buying one that sets only 12... You can always set less eggs in the bigger bators but you can't set more in the small ones. Plus I add water bottle heat sinks... to help hold temp in case of power outage. I thought oh God, who needs to set 40+ eggs?! Turns out... I do. :oops: I now have 3 incubators that ran almost all year non stop. :eek: I use 1 or 2 as hatchers and set new eggs every 4-7 days.

What I won't recommend is the double stack 90+ egg bator for around $75 on Ebay... that gives my cruddiest hatches and requires the most amount of manipulation. If it's a clear plastic box... you know it doesn't have any insulation. I still get hatches from that one... but never as good. It is nice that it has humidity and temp display and it also has a day count down timer... and one whistle I kinda like... an alarm that goes off when the humidity drops too low or temp goes too high.

If funds aren't an issue for you... then I'm sure there are nicer ones.

My hatching chicks have less sticking issue in still air than circulated, but that might be related to my incubation evaporation/shell color. I like the forced air for incubating but prefer still air for hatching. And got my VERY best hatch rates in the still air, hand turning... maybe I was just less sloppy in the beginning (also less experimental). Good luck finding one you like. :)

Back
Top Bottom