best feeders/waterers for adult ducks

Depending on how many ducks you have I suggest a large wall mount feeder, it looks alot like an automatic dry cat food feeder, only much larger. Easy to make out of wood.

thanks, hadn't thought of a wall mount feeder.

any more ideas? can i use a regular chicken waterer? i know they need to get their bills completely in so those just don't seem to offer enough water?

I use a large (about two foot diameter across the top) stainless steel mixing bowl for water, and two metal cake pans for feed. The steel waterer can sit safely on the heater I have to keep the drinking water from freezing. The waterer and feeder do not go into their house, they are either in the duckyard or the night pen (a secure area attached to the house), which has a hardware cloth and sand floor covered with bedding, so it drains well.

Quote:
I use something similar but mine is a tough rubber tote type material I purchased at the Tractor Supply/feed store. It is great in winter too, you can flip it over when the water gets frozen, step on it and the frozen water pops right out! I have 2 of these, 1 I keep up on an old tire rim so they don't get in it and will use it to drink from, the other they get in and bath themselves. They were about $9 each, and I think they called them livestock feeders!

I use square, plastic dishpans for water (like toletiquesbysam said, ice pops right out of them in the winter) and I set them on top of lids for big Rubbermaid totes to catch most of what gets splashed out.

For feeders, I've been using big, heavy, round plastic dog bowls.
smile.png

I make my feeders out of the 5 gallon buckets. The waterer I use are the type you can find in Walmart, Target, K-mart. They are dog waterer that have the 2 1/2 gallon water jug that empties into a bowl. Le Bistro I think it's called. It's about $15. It saves me from having to fill the water everyday.

Quote:
I'll try to post a pic, if it doesnt show up, you can see it in my thread below or just direct copy/paste the URL in your browser:

54047_p1000616x.jpg

A pic of mine is halfway down this page:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=326040&p=5

It's a 5 gallon dog/cat waterer. I bought it at Tractor Supply and I forget the cost. I think it was about $15 or $20.

I haven't been able to use it yet, because i am still constructing my duck aviary. It self-waters throughout the day.

Hopefully, it won't be used as a jacuzzi by them.

The waterers work better if you put them on a concrete block. I have a Le Bistro water which is 2 1/2 gallons. It works well because the ducks don't have to get down so far to drink fresh water. I'll have to get a picture. I put there food up on a concrete block as well. I do this for my chickens too.

Back
Top Bottom