Best fencing?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LizGled628, Jun 30, 2011.

1. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Hello,

I have been free ranging our five chickens for over a year now, much to the delight of our close neighbors. ALthough we have a big yard, the ladies make their way over to the neighbors, who have gone out of their way to tell me how much they enjoy having a neighborhood flock [​IMG] Unfortunately, my girls ventured a little TOO far today, making all the way to the house two houses down...and those neighbors did NOT appreciate the visit. They came over today to ask us to keep them in our yard. We are more than happy to oblige, we feel like we were really lucky to have gone this long without harboring a complaint.

I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation of good, inexpensive fencing to use to fence the yard. I will obviously be keeping the chickens in their enclosed run until we install something, I just don't want to waste my money on something that won't last!

Thanks for the help!

2. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    This is what we just recently did. [​IMG]
    We concreted in the posts and fromed in each wall seperately, then screwed them to the posts. But also did the top as well. This pic does not show it completed so you can see the process. Use the 1/2 galvanized wire cloth. 4X100 ft wire was $178, plus about $350 wood and screws and concrete.
    Next my husband is thinking of digging a 3 inch trench around it next to the wood frame and concreting it. But I think if they really wanted to dig deeper they would. Will post pics of completed job soon.

3. 202roosterlane

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    [​IMG]

sorry forgot the other pic.

4. LizGled628

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Wow, that is an amazing set-up you have!! For now, we are thinking of keeping them in our garden (which we never got around to planting this year). It's fenced in, about 25'x15', we just need to put some netting over the top. The attached run I have now is perfectly safe, but it's not very big, and I know they won't tolerate being in it for long. It's also a barren wasteland, as they've cleared all the grass out of it.

5. 202roosterlane

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks, we just really wanted to make sure nothing could get in or out LOL

6. FrankieMcElfresh

FrankieMcElfresh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Ohio
    I use a regular old fence for my chickens and ducks and use an old chainlink fence as a cover from predators [​IMG] cost...I have no idea, I just found it all as scrap lol [​IMG] Sorry if this doesnt really help much [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. LizGled628

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    No I totally appreciate the ideas! I was thinking of something more along the lines of a fence for my property line...I don't know if it should be really tall, or if a shorter fence would be okay. I also wanted to know if anyone has used any fencing and found it to last through the years and worth the sometimes expensive investment!

Thanks for the help so far!

8. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Quote:For that purpose, try either no-climb horse fencing or goat fencing. Regular wire farm fence has holes that most chickens can get through. Goat and horse fencing has smaller holes. The horse fencing will be the most expensive.

You can get horse fencing in 5 foot tall but usually most of these wire fence products are 4 feet tall. Chickens CAN get over that, mind you, but it may stop them if there's not enough incentive.

Of course, none of these prevent hawk attacks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by