Best flooring for uncovered run area

Gferna19

Songster
Mar 26, 2018
Hello,

What is the best floor you would recommend for a chicken run. In the coop I use shavings during warm weather and I switch to straw for the winter only. but my run is just dirt and it get really messy when it rains. I read about sand but I'm concern about winter time. I live in Clarksburg, MD and sometimes it gets pretty cold and idk if it's true that sand it's bad in cold climate. How about woos chips? or gravel ? Are they hard to maintain? Thank you.

Provided you have adequate drainage, look into deep litter. It'll control the mud, control smells, and there's really no maintenance - just keep adding material.

Hello,

What is the best floor you would recommend for a chicken run. In the coop I use shavings during warm weather and I switch to straw for the winter only. but my run is just dirt and it get really messy when it rains. I read about sand but I'm concern about winter time. I live in Clarksburg, MD and sometimes it gets pretty cold and idk if it's true that sand it's bad in cold climate. How about woos chips? or gravel ? Are they hard to maintain? Thank you.
How big is your run?
How many birds?
Dimensions and pics always help.

My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are the best base material, IMO.

I use deep litter method in the coop with wood chips. When I clean the coop out I throw the chips in the secured run. i havent done it yet since i moved but once or twice a yr (usually fall) i would dig the run out and throw it in the garden or compost pile. Then refresh the wood chips in the run. Its amazing how much "dirt" they create.

Back
Top Bottom