Best food for a mixed flock?

We get ours in 40# bags at TSC for $8. It takes 3 bags for a 12 x 5' coop. We change it in the spring.

For the brooder, we have to change it once a month.
You really have me convinced, and I’ve been wanting to try it myself for awhile now. So, it’s time to take the leap. Thank you so much Debbie! I really appreciate it!

I haven’t heard of Kalmbachs. I just looked it up, and I found a few stores in Northern Ohio! Would you recommend it over Purina @Debbie292d?
It is an Ohio feed company and do have good feed I have used both Kalmbach's and Purina both with good results. I use Prince feed now as I can get it cheaper but usually fall back on Kalmbach's as I can usually get it fresher ordered into my local feed store. Belstra out of In. if I remember right has some good feed also but Belstra and Prince would have to be ordered in from a local feed store as I haven't seen either on big store shelves.

Last edited:
It is an Ohio feed company and do have good feed I have used both Kalmbach's and Purina both with good results. I use Prince feed now as I can get it cheaper but usually fall back on Kalmbach's as I can usually get it fresher ordered into my local feed store. Belstra out of In. if I remember right has some good feed also but Belstra and Prince would have to be ordered in from a local feed store as I haven't seen either on big store shelves.
Thank you so much @Huntmaster. I do have a local feed store that I frequent, so I’ll be asking if they have or can get any of those brands in. My birds seem to like Purina, but I DO like to try different things with them… so, I’m considering the suggestions by you and @Debbie292d. Very much appreciated!

You really have me convinced, and I’ve been wanting to try it myself for awhile now. So, it’s time to take the leap. Thank you so much Debbie! I really appreciate it!
Just don't worry if at first the chickens are (a) scared of it, or (b) act like they are eating it. They will be used to pellets in no time, and they eat one, maybe, then they realize they're gross. 100% pine though so won't hurt 'em. :)

The Kalmbach food at our local store is cost wise a bit less than the tsc dumor feed. A good way to get similar foods between brands is to check the protein %. The flock maker by Kalmbach is similar to Purina's Flock Raiser. Both products need an additional calcium for layers, but are great for a mixed age and species flock. I use which ever is most convenient between those for all birds when I have chicks. If I don't have chicks I use Kalmbach layer to save a couple dollars, but I think the higher protein in the flock maker is better for the birds.

Thank you so much @Huntmaster. I do have a local feed store that I frequent, so I’ll be asking if they have or can get any of those brands in. My birds seem to like Purina, but I DO like to try different things with them… so, I’m considering the suggestions by you and @Debbie292d. Very much appreciated!
I've been using it for years and my birds love it! I had switched to the dumor 20% chick starter for a little while because it was cheaper, but after repeatedly getting older than preferred mill dates I went back to kalmbach. It smells so fresh! I order mine from chewy also and have only ever once had an unacceptable mill date (they sent me a new bag free of charge)

Just don't worry if at first the chickens are (a) scared of it, or (b) act like they are eating it. They will be used to pellets in no time, and they eat one, maybe, then they realize they're gross. 100% pine though so won't hurt 'em. :)
I’m getting the pellets on my next trip. I like the idea that it takes awhile for them to break down. So, I’m thinking less dust around overall? It’ll be interesting to see how they’re going to react to a new type of bedding.

I've been using it for years and my birds love it! I had switched to the dumor 20% chick starter for a little while because it was cheaper, but after repeatedly getting older than preferred mill dates I went back to kalmbach. It smells so fresh! I order mine from chewy also and have only ever once had an unacceptable mill date (they sent me a new bag free of charge)
I wonder if many people actually think to check mill dates on their feed. You brought up a really important point. I’ve heard people talk about how their birds refuse to eat their feed. Well, old feed may very well be a culprit.

Back
Top Bottom