Best Free Range Predator Alert breeds?

MrFarmboy1888

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2023
What have yall experienced to be great free range birds that are predator alert and can survive on a free range diet and raise chicks and can almost go feral?
And can take midwestern (kansas) heat and cold.
Any of yall have experience free ranging these breeds or any other great ones?:
Egyptian Fayoumi
Kraienkoppe
Cubalaya
Cubalaya Bantams
Fayoumi
Samatra
Lakenvelder
Leghorn
Any thougts?

Game birds seem more alert than most breeds. There slimmer, flighty and can evade predators easier. There suited for warm climate.

Probably not the answer your looking for but something to consider.
ok yes anything that works great I am interested! Do you have any specific names of game breeds that you think fit the feral free range environment?
I also thought of those india red jungle fowl?

Leghorns are very aware, I don’t know what Kansas is like in the winter but I think they could handle it.

Cubalya sumatra on your list works, Phoenix, jungle fowl, Florida crackers. There's a whole group of game fowl birds People keep but I don't remember individual species names.

You can see pictures of game fowl on ebay and who's selling them.

Then there's a byc member living in Florida working on developing larger game fowl on his land since he's focused on true free ranging.

@Florida Bullfrog

Cubalya sumatra on your list works, Phoenix, jungle fowl, Florida crackers. There's a whole group of game fowl birds People keep but I don't remember individual species names.

You can see pictures of game fowl on ebay and who's selling them.

Then there's a byc member living in Florida working on developing larger game fowl on his land since he's focused on true free ranging.

@Florida Bullfrog
This guy has got it going on!! I love keeping up with his flock. There's also another fella that does a feral type flock

@Red Mangrove

What have yall experienced to be great free range birds that are predator alert and can survive on a free range diet and raise chicks and can almost go feral?
And can take midwestern (kansas) heat and cold.
Any of yall have experience free ranging these breeds or any other great ones?:
Egyptian Fayoumi
Kraienkoppe
Cubalaya
Cubalaya Bantams
Fayoumi
Samatra
Lakenvelder
Leghorn
Any thougts?
If you are intending to release captive birds into the wild you need to check with your state and see if that’s legal.

If your land can provide food and water all year round (do wild birds overwinter successfully there?) then it’s worth investigating. If there are times when the wild birds all migrate away then that points to a lack of available forage that you would have to make up for.

the wild birds all migrate away
Most of them anyway (of course there are a few exceptions no matter where you are, like Wisconsin has a few year round species but that doesn't mean it can sustain chickens.)
In any case, if you want birds that are good free rangers and can get all their sustenance from free range in a warm climate guinea fowl beat any chicken breed out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom