best fried eggs anyone can ask for!! (seasoned cast iron pan)!!!

My prize cookware will always be cast iron.... some my mom gave me. My moma taught me how to cook scramble eggs, I have the pan I cooked it in and the chair I stood on... about 2 years ago I invested in a cast iron dutch oven or stew pot, and each time I cooked in it I cleaned it then covered the inside and any suspect spot with olive oil and cooked it for two or three hours in the oven at 200 degrees. Like most I inherited most of my cast iron. I did buy a skillet for my daughters when they moved out, along with a Fannie Farmer cookbook.

Quote:
Cast iron is all I've used for many years.....the more you use them the better they get. To season them before you use them the first time coat them with shortning and bake in a 350 degree oven for an hour or two.

Last edited:
Quote:
I recently went to Youtube and looked up seasoning cast iron pans and viewed a couple videos on seasoning cast iron pans, that's a good place to start...
smile.png

I do quite a bit of cooking in cast iron dutch ovens and skillets,I always look for cast iron at flea markets and yard sales,I pass up the thin lightweight cast iron but every heavy pan I find I get it if the price is reasonable,I have several old cast skillets that belonged to my great grandmother,the three legged kind that were used in the fireplace,last count I took I was up to 17 pans,I just can't pass one up if its a good deal no matter how bad it looks,I bring them home,,build a fire and place the pan in the fire for an hour or so,then scrub the soot off it ,then rub cooking oil all over the inside and out,put in in the oven,turn the oven to 350.and let it heat with the oven,.let it bake after the oven reaches 350 for an hour,then turn the heat off and let the pan cool down in the oven,coat the pan with another thin coat of oil and your ready to go...never put tomatoes,,tomato sauce or paste in cast iron.it eats the coating off...
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom