Best goose for meat?

holachicka

Songster
10 Years
Jan 4, 2010
Folsom, CA
Hi everyone!
frow.gif
I'm very new to this, I just built my first incubator, and it's filled with quail eggs right now. However, I was curious about what the best geese for meat purposes are... not sure if anyone on here even eats geese, or if you all just do it for pets:oops:. I have never even tried the meat, but am very curious. I'd appreciate your opions on the taste, and the best breed. Please let me know your opinons and Thanks in advance!!

we have african grey which are supposed to be stupendous.... but at 25.00 per chick we are hoping to have a breeding pair and sell/eat the grown babies..

My avitar is one of them... very sweet babies!

Last edited:
I'm no authority on this matter--yet!-- but I've eaten lots of goose and had many different kinds that were all good.

It probably depends to a large degree if you value the fatty goose or the lean goose. Different schools of taste as well as thought.

The two breeds that I'm raising are specifically noted as being ideal for home farmers: very practical and delicious eating.

That would be Classic Romans (Tufted, too, of course) and Sebastopols (I'm focused on the smooth-breasted variety).

I'm into animal fats as being very important to the diet for my family and know many others are as well (see Weston Price and Nourishing Traditions).
Raising animals ourselves, and locally, for meat is a major way that we can counter industrial and factory farming.
We raise them well, and live our gratitude!

Now as I understand it, Embdens are *somewhat* less practical for purposes of home meat production because at butchering age they are a very similar size to a smaller goose. They get their massive weight gradually over the first year or two. It seems that that would mean you have larger geese (the breeding parents) to feed year round. And if you wait til they have fully grown, they're more challenging to fit in the oven, yes?
Granted, Embdens are what is raised by factory goosemeat productions.
They are great (like other white and light-colored geese) for not having visible dark pinfeathers on the carcass.

It would depend more on the breeding of embden. The line I am raising the geese grow quickly and fill out fast. Some lines are rather small compared to what some people refer to as "giant embdens". Our first year Christmas goose was 15lbs. Around 7 - 8 months old. Grass fed, pasture raised. Beautiful meat.

Hi everyone!
frow.gif
I'm very new to this, I just built my first incubator, and it's filled with quail eggs right now. However, I was curious about what the best geese for meat purposes are... not sure if anyone on here even eats geese, or if you all just do it for pets:oops:. I have never even tried the meat, but am very curious. I'd appreciate your opions on the taste, and the best breed. Please let me know your opinons and Thanks in advance!!
We raise American Blues and Pomeranians. They both are very good meat birds.

Back
Top Bottom