Which lf the following is your favorite goose?:

• Total voters
Pics

Rondack

Crowing
7 Years
Feb 21, 2015
Upstate NY
Please select your favorite goose breed... best pet, best egg layer, best for meat, most calm...

I have not included all breeds, if your favorite is not listed please tell me and I can add it...

BA052D7B-6700-4A8E-9A7F-423379C6CA4E.jpeg
I have a pair of Cotton Patch. Based on their actions & personality right now, I’d recommend EVERYONE have a pair of geese. They’re not quite 2 weeks old.

I have been considering adding geese but want to get a very very docile breed if I do.

When I was about 5 I was outside playing at my babysitter's and their flock of about 30 emdens attacked me all at once. I was terrified!

I would want my geese to be good watch dogs but also be very tame and friendly. If possible even friendly to stangers. Foraging is good and I don't want them to wander off.

Any suggestions?

I saw a couple baby geese my friend got hatchery choice and I fell in love!

So here's the funny part, we were given two Chinese geese from a colleague at work as they were not getting along well in her barnyard. I have no other geese experience, but how can you not like free?! :D

We are raising them as dual purpose (meat and eggs) and our young lady has given us a ton of eggs. She lays every other day like clockwork and has done so since November with just a few small breaks in the winter.

Noisy? Yes, our barnyard sounds like it has a herd of velociraptors when the male gets going. Cute? Sure. Friendly, to everyone except me. I think the male sees me as the "head bird" of the barnyard and likes to challenge me often even though his "wife" tries to discourage his efforts with speech and feather tugging. He doesn't complete trust my wife either. Entertaining? Completely!

Here's a shot of some of our babies from the incubator recently with a duck in the middle!

IMG_3312.JPG.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom