best guard animal for lynx?

There is nothing that is going to protect birds against wolves. (Except for a rifle.) Anything that you could get to supposedly "guard" them would just me even more "wolf bait". A Llama, alpaca or even a donkey would all easily be killed by a wolf. (And IMO, Llamas being great guard animals is not really that true. If it were, why would a lot of Llama breeders have livestock guard dogs to protect their llamas? And this is in places where they largest predators are coyotes and dogs.) IMO, you either need to get used to loosing animals, OR pen them up somehow. A donkey might work against a lynx. IF it is the "right" donkey. Because they aren't all created equal as far as protecting their "herd mates". Heck, the donkey might take out the birds itself.

how well do they work? and do they scream at land predators too? i always hear about them with hawks but nothing on large predators
They work best as pest control, with ridding mice, & rats.

I haven't yet had a hawk attack on my flock, so the screaming must have to be some sort of deterrent.

There is nothing that is going to protect birds against wolves. (Except for a rifle.) Anything that you could get to supposedly "guard" them would just me even more "wolf bait". A Llama, alpaca or even a donkey would all easily be killed by a wolf. (And IMO, Llamas being great guard animals is not really that true. If it were, why would a lot of Llama breeders have livestock guard dogs to protect their llamas? And this is in places where they largest predators are coyotes and dogs.) IMO, you either need to get used to loosing animals, OR pen them up somehow. A donkey might work against a lynx. IF it is the "right" donkey. Because they aren't all created equal as far as protecting their "herd mates". Heck, the donkey might take out the birds itself.
yeah that is a big concern. wolf attacks on my flock are rare though and always caused by a lone wolf, so it is mostly the lynxes, foxes, hawks and coyotes that are doing the damage. i am okay loosing a bird or two every once and awhile but i have been loosing multiple every week and i am getting tired of it.

Back
Top Bottom