Best gun for varmints

Quote:
Well, my dog does most of the work. I just need something to help her out when she inevitably bites off more than she can chew. She is certainly capable of keeping it busy while I fetch my gun, theoretically anyway.

P.s. - I got a duck lost to a turtle by the way about 2 months ago, so I feel you on the shock of that one!

Yeah, it was tough, and not something I would have expected.

My 22 is working wonders on thinning out those big turtles, by the way.​

I agree,with the hornady v-max round,this little rifle is the best round I have ever used,perfect for varmits,and deadly in the hands of an experienced shooter,,cheap to feed and gets the job done without a lot of noise,,,
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
If there isn't an ordinance against it, it can have quite a nice serendipitous effect.

Neighbor to the south of me has a big rottweiler who used to come on my place a lot. Even took a few of my chickens a while back before my lab convinced him he might be able to whip her, but it isn't worth the trouble coming on her turf.

I was out on my little home made rifle range with my brand spanking new .22, firing off a couple hundred rounds. This thing makes a nice little crack, maybe because of the high velocity rounds? So, neighbors are certainly aware I have a new gun.

Anyway, I've hardly seen that dog all week, even on his property, so I'm thinking he's afraid I will shoot his dog. I wouldn't, no matter what, because I don't believe in it. But still, it's nice not having that thing tear at the fence every time I get close to the property line.

big_smile.png

12 Guage shotgun with buckshot for close range. This is a must have. This is what you run out the door with and shoot something that is in your yard. This may be hard to get something like a coyote with though because the chances of you being in short range contact with it is unlikely (though if so, this is the gun you want). For longer range shots to take out things like coyotes, a .223 is probably your best bet. Great long range varmint gun. Another option would be to get a model 1911 .45 handgun which they make "snake shot" for, essentially turning this pistol into a varmint gun. This makes it more like a shotgun. Keep in mind, once you shoot snake shot, it wears out the rifling so the gun won't be usable for much target practice but will permanently be a varmint gun. Those are three options, the first being most highly recommended.

Cabellas sells coyote shells for the 12 gauge. High Velocity but you'd still have to be pretty close. Their intended for hunters hiding and then the coyote coming in to about 40 yards or closer. A few little tricks I'm going to try is putting a radio out there and leaving it on a Talk station. This is supposeed to work great. Also someone suggested using one of those motion activated Dancing singing Santas or one of the Halloween witches or something. If I recall I think some of those stupid talking deer heads are motion activated. I'm gonna keep am eye out for these at yard sales and stuff.

Quote:
Shot shells for handguns should not wear the lining unless they are steel shot. Most 1911 barrels are hardened to digest the steady diet of military ball ammo. And 1911 barrels are relatively inexpensive, and easily interchangeable. I would prefer a revolver for shot though in any case. The 12 and 20 Ga are exceptional guns for all around use out to 100 yards. They both will take dear and bear out to 100 yards. One should not use them in a coop though as the reflection of shot would damage and probably kill chickens. This is where the handgun is handy or .22 rifle.

My personal opinion of the .223 for a defensive and military round is not very high, too many disappointments have been had with it. The 7.62X35 is much better for this purpose, which mirrors the 30-30 round in knockdown power and overall ballistics.

OTOH the the .223 is an exceptional varmint round with the proper bullet and extreme accuracy out to 500 meters. I have never found this round to be much louder than a .22 mag and work very well for long range. The AR15 and clones must have had a prairie dog shooter in mind when they designed he rifle. In the prone position with a tripod and scope it is the most comfortable rifle I have ever shot. If they could just make it stand up to harsh environments and of course change the caliber to 7.62X35 then it would be a good military weapon also.

Last edited:
A nice 12 guage pump and a .22 will pretty much handle any varmit issues you have.

The .22 shotshells I found don't really do squat unless you are closer that 10ft. Barely scratched an old plastic ghetto blaster from 8ft.

Quote:
I can't say enough good about the V-MAX. Regardless of if you buy them and reload yourself or get them stock. Hubby reloads for the .204 and I buy Hornady stock for my .223

If anyone is having some accuracy/distance or hit issues with a gun try these before you give up. We find you can really reach out to some distance accurately and still go right through a critter for a quick clean kill. They are not however the right choice if your wanting the pelt, it will be beyond repair.

Of course since hubby reloads he also plays with all the powders and sometimes he even changes barrels to another twist just for fun, but again with my stock .223 and Hornady stock V-MAX loads the results have been great.

Rooster Cogburn Jr. :

Cabellas sells coyote shells for the 12 gauge. High Velocity but you'd still have to be pretty close. Their intended for hunters hiding and then the coyote coming in to about 40 yards or closer. A few little tricks I'm going to try is putting a radio out there and leaving it on a Talk station. This is supposeed to work great. Also someone suggested using one of those motion activated Dancing singing Santas or one of the Halloween witches or something. If I recall I think some of those stupid talking deer heads are motion activated. I'm gonna keep am eye out for these at yard sales and stuff.

Dancing Santa now there's an idea. I have heard of, but not used, motion bright red lights are supposed to deter predators. I believe they are about 20 bucks apiece. A good thing to do if you own dogs is take them around the perimeter of your yard or at least around the coop and have them mark the territory. If you don't own dogs it might not hurt to do it yourself, most wild animals have a fear of human scent. Be careful NOT to get arrested if you live in the city. Your neighbors might not like the sight.​

I also use a little tool for .22 LR cartridges called a Nastinose/Accurizer. This is a bullet swaging tool that increases accuracy and terminal effectiveness of .22 LR ammo.

It aint cheap ($45) but it works real good.

Back
Top Bottom