Best hatchery for cornishX

The last 5 years I have ordered from Hoover in IA. Some were direct orders, some were from the local farm supply store (impulse buying) . They have always grown well and lived active lives until that fateful day
wink.png
. Tender, tasty birds.

Central is the only hatchery we have ever used for meaties. Several people we know grow them organically for boutique restaurants and they recommended them wholeheartedly after many orders from many hatcheries. In the spring we raised them and they were 7-8.75 in 10 weeks, dressed. In the fall we did it again and they were almost all 5.5 lbs in 10 weeks, dressed. It was cold here in the fall and I believe they used a little more energy staying warm so the end result was a little smaller. I wouldn't buy from anyone but Central with the wonderful results we have had.

Yes get the SLOW ROASTER Not the JUMBO I will order here again. I have tried everything to save the Ideal Cornish and have lost quite a few, I have tried changing to no light at night, feeding 12 on and 12 off...... They are really dropping like flies.
(actually 3 per week) ALL THE OTHER Breeds in the pen are not dying... Just the cornish roasters.... I will end up with about 40 if they make it to next month. I have added extra protein to diet and they are growing V-E-R-Y slow in the winter. Maybe this is the problem... but they did have a heated pen.. So I am clueless....

I did get the Ideal Red Broiler... (very colorful and look like the freedom rangers) I have a few roosters that are at 10 lbs now....
The rep tells me its a cross of a Red Rhode Island over a Dark Cornish (I think the hen is the rir) I do like this breed too

So This year I will be getting from Mcmurray again... and keeping a few hens for breeding. These are the best I have found with NO losses!

Quote:
Is this what they refer to as Cornish Roaster (catalog # CRRS)?

Quote:
Sounds like they are for real. Can I ask what % protein you fed them?

We fed them 24% meat bird feed and they did very well. I did feed them one bad of medicated chick starter at the very beginning and then on day five took their food away at night. Worked well for us.

Back
Top Bottom