best hatchery for salmon faverolles?

Oh thank you thank you! At least one of these "all female" chicks will be a girl!!!
ya.gif

Oh thank you thank you! At least one of these "all female" chicks will be a girl!!!
ya.gif

Are you sure the others you have are boys? I have seen some really awful colored pullets out of hatcheries in the past 2-3 years (as in mostly black).

I have 6 salmon Favs from Meyer Hatchery. I have 2 obvious females in the layer coop now, but now worried I have 4 other girls but are darker colored..... They are 13 weeks old, boys might not have a comb yet right?
Many hatchery pullets are on the darker side. At 13 weeks old any boys should be obvious with a redder comb, light hackle feathers, black body with light brown to reddish brown back.

My 7 weeks old Salmon Faverolles are very obviously boys or girls. The boys are both black backed (some brown sprinkled in) with grey heads and the 3 girls are varying shades of brown with tan heads. The boys have redder combs too. My favorite girl is getting bullied something fierce, so I actually removed her from the chick flock and moved her into a dog cage within my laying hen flock.

Our 5-week-old Faverolles (from Welp Hatchery, really great experience with them!) are VERY obviously sex-able at this age. The three roosters' combs are all MUCH brighter red and MUCH larger, their wings and backs are black, and their feet feathers are also much darker than the 13 girls' are. The girls are all shades of brown with grey down, the boys are much darker brown and black down, especially on their wings.

We have only two pullets that show the dark breast feathers, and those only in the center around their crop. Welp sent us some beautiful birds, our ducks from them are wonderful as well. Working with them was lovely, they even called me the morning my chicks arrived to make sure everything was OK, and refunded me for the one DOA without my asking them to. I will definitely order from them again, and soon because I think all 4 of our ducks are drakes! But that is not their fault, it just means we will eat lots of duck this winter...

Last edited:
Here are mine from Ideal. They were hatched May 2 so almost two months old. Some are light, some are dark but all are cute and healthy. The rooster is really obvious. You can only get them from Ideal certain times of the year. I believe February to June. I had to get on the waiting list.

and at one day old

Back
Top Bottom