Best hatchery for small orders?

PartyPat

Chirping
Sep 20, 2017
Hi, we're getting ready to get more birds and need help picking a good hatchery. It seems like the ones I find with a good selection of waterfowl don't have chickens or anything else. I'm getting a fairly small order, just a few geese, half a dozen turkeys and maybe a dozen or so chickens, and I'm having a hard time finding anywhere that will do this. The hatcheries I've found with geese have very few types of chickens.
I really want a toulouse and then some sort of white goose, preferably sexed. And if possible I want to be able to order chickens and turkeys along with them. It's not the end of the world if I can't but since I'm only planning on two geese not many places will accept an order for only two birds, for good reason I know. I was hoping to get around this by getting them all together and that way all of our birds are the same age and grow up together.
Does anyone have a good recommendation on a hatchery that can do something like this? Any help is much appreciated. I'm in TX if it makes a difference.
Thanks

Since you're in Texas, I think Ideal Poultry would be your best bet. I think they may be out of geese by now though, but worth looking.
They let me order Two goslings and a duckling, so they certainly allow small orders. Their only condition is that your order must be over $25. They also have a wide variety of chickens, ducks and geese from what I can tell.

This looked promising but I spoke to a representative there and they aren't able to count against the shipping cost or accommodate for 2 geese + more of other birds. I could maybe get 3 geese but I was really hoping to get 2 plus some more birds.
Since you're in Texas, I think Ideal Poultry would be your best bet. I think they may be out of geese by now though, but worth looking.
They let me order Two goslings and a duckling, so they certainly allow small orders. Their only condition is that your order must be over $25. They also have a wide variety of chickens, ducks and geese from what I can tell.
This would actually be perfect and I live close enough to pick them up in person, but they're sold out of geese. I called them and they said they were booked up for the year but I joined the waitlist in case there's any extras. Not really holding my breathe on this though.
Thanks for the help you two but the hunt continues

Success! Ideal Poultry was booked up but I put myself on the wait list after giving them a call. I got an email this morning telling me I could come get my birds in 2 weeks and I gave them a call to confirm. I'll have two baby girls, a roman tufted and a toulouse, in 2 weeks. I'm too excited!
Going to be getting some Polish chickens too and I'll be picking up my turkeys this weekend elsewhere since they're out at Ideal.

Welcome to BYC! I live about 2 hours from Ideal Poultry, I've always been happy with their livestock and customer service.

Welcome to BYC! I live about 2 hours from Ideal Poultry, I've always been happy with their livestock and customer service.
Thanks, I've been lurking quite a bit but usually don't post much. We lost Eden, our goose in my profile picture, and it's still been rough to lose her after how much I cared for her. I'm at least ready to get new geese and try again though, and we've got plans to build a much more secure living place for them this time.

Thanks, I've been lurking quite a bit but usually don't post much. We lost Eden, our goose in my profile picture, and it's still been rough to lose her after how much I cared for her. I'm at least ready to get new geese and try again though, and we've got plans to build a much more secure living place for them this time.
Can I suggest a live stock guardian dog??? Unless your birds leave your yard, a LGD can be trained to protect birds. Mine keeps mine safe as long as they don't go out of our yard.

Our geese stay put in our yard - the chickens and turkeys though do what they want lol most have learned not to leave the yard though.

Back
Top Bottom