Best hatchery to get chicks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by 9farmgirl9, Aug 13, 2011.

1. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    I am wanting quite a few breeds to make a mix flock the breeds include: Barred rocks, Red sex links, Speckled sussex, Black australorp, Buff orpington, Leghorn, Silver spangled hamburg, Ameraucana, Blue laced red wyandotte, Sebrights, Mille fleur bearded d'uccle, and Cochins. Looking for a hatchery who is excellent at what they do, i have never ordered chicks before.

2. penut1799

penut1799 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    North Fort Myers, FL
    MY PET CHICKEN! All of my chicks are VERY healthy! [​IMG]

3. ChickenSnake

ChickenSnake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Montgomery County Texas
    I've heard good things about Cackle Hatchery, I recenly made an order and I'm waiting for them to come in.

4. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    MY PET CHICKEN! All of my chicks are VERY healthy!

Ditto! My experience was very possitive. I got a BO, JG, SLW, and BLRW, and also fostered a RIR, BR, and another BO. All arrived happy and peeping. They are now 15 weeks old and the only issue I have is my SLW's crossed beak---purely genetic, not a hatchery issue. I had originally ordered a GLW, but got a call from mypetchicken the morning of shipping to say that that week's batch of GLWs wasn't big enough, so they substituted the BLRW, and she is now my most lovely girl. Good luck! Hope your experience is is a good one!

mm​

5. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Personally, I like Ideal Hatchery out of Texas the best. I have ordered Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, Leghorns, etc. for my laying flock. I have used Facile before as well.

6. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Meyer Hatchery, MPC drop ships and gets their birds from Meyer so your just paying more if you buy from MPC

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

My two favorites:
    Cackle for chickens.. Porter for turkeys

8. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    I have got from Ideal and I like what I got

9. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    I have tried them all more than once to be fair.Ideal has had the best percentage of chicks grow up and the least amount of doa Meyers has the most doa in the heat but they use small boxes compared to all the others during the heat..fine in cool weather however so depends on when you order.
    Overall quality I like Privett the best but no hatchery has quality birds to start with I only have them as layers.
    McMurray no issues other than the prices are high and they offer no better quality for the price.
    You are going to be very disappointed in any BLRW you buy from a hatchery they are horrible in color and type no matter which one you buy from...spend a bit more and buy from a good breeder there.
    No Hatchery sells Ameraucana so if you want a true Ameraucana you have to get them from a breeder..hatcheries only sell EE's and call them Ameraucana

10. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by