best hatchery to purchase dark cornish?

I have 7 or 8 Dark Cornish hens, all from McMurray. They are on the smaller side (as are most of the hens I've received from McMurray, except the Partridge Rocks which are huge!) but they have a very nice temperament and are very docile and are all shaped nicely. I have found some other hatcheries I like (Estes; Hoover's) but they don't have Dark Cornish, and I probably won't buy from McMurray again. Would like to find a nice Dark Cornish rooster.

(As a sidebar, in the mix I purchased from McMurray last year I got a bunch of various Leghorns. Tiny tiny birds, tiny eggs, poor layers, flighty. Never again!)

How small is small? Would you happen to have age and weights?
When you say nicely shaped, do you mean with a heart shaped body or aesthetically pleasing to you.

Thanks,
M

Last edited:
How small is small? Would you happen to have age and weights?
When you say nicely shaped, do you mean with a heart shaped body or aesthetically pleasing to you.

Thanks,
M
They are about 14 months old now, and I would say they are closer to 5-6 pounds than the stated 8 pounds on McMurray's website. I'm butchering meat birds this weekend so I could weigh a couple of them when I have my scale out, and get some better pictures.

Here's a recent picture of them in a group, not the best but it kind of gives you an idea of what they do look like. The one nearest the front on the left is next to a 2+ year old Production Red and the whitish one is a 4+ year old Easter Egger, so you can get an idea of stature among the chickens. Upper-middle of the picture has a couple more of the 14 month Dark Cornish in the middle of another group of Easter Eggers.

Thanks for the visual. Do you feel they've just recently attained that weight, or perhaps have been that size for a while? Given their age, have you noticed any broody behavior? It also appears you run them with a larger flock....day-ranged perhaps; any comment on their foraging skill? Perhaps rating them above or below the average of your flock and whether pressure to forage is applied (ie with-holding feed/feeding once a day).

If you weigh and photograph them I most absolutely appreciate the information.

Thanks,
M

Thanks for the visual. Do you feel they've just recently attained that weight, or perhaps have been that size for a while? Given their age, have you noticed any broody behavior? It also appears you run them with a larger flock....day-ranged perhaps; any comment on their foraging skill? Perhaps rating them above or below the average of your flock and whether pressure to forage is applied (ie with-holding feed/feeding once a day).

If you weigh and photograph them I most absolutely appreciate the information.

Thanks,
M
I would say they reached their full size around 9-10 months. I've only had one Dark Cornish go broody, and she is from an older batch of hens from McMurray, but she was a good setter, good mama, and the sweetest thing. Lets me tote her around, tolerates the dogs, very calm.

Is this his natural stance~ fairly upright? Do you happen to have a weight on him?

Thanks,
M
Hey southernmomma, yes this is his natural stance, and i just got my daughter to hold him on the scales and he weighs 10lbs. I got him last year from Cackle Hatchery on the 3 of July so he is 10 months old.

Back
Top Bottom