Best Housing for Geese?

lisahaschickens

Songster
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Vancouver, WA
I am considering getting geese to help act as "guard dogs" for my chickens so they can free range sometimes and I can have some peace of mind. If I get them, should I get eggs, babies, or adults? I have read in some places that it is important that they "imprint" on you so they don't attack you later and that will only happen if you hatch them yourself. I have also read that they imprint fine when they are goslings (which would be cheaper for me than having to buy and incubator along with the eggs). I have also read that it is best for a beginner to buy a trio of adults and only try to raise babies later if so desired. So, I am looking for advice on that.

My main question, though, is how to house them. I have read that they need anything from no shelter at all to they need to be locked up totally securely every night, like chickens. Which is it? And, if I do need a goose house and run, how would I get/make such a thing and what elements does it need?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

p.s. I am aware that geese are not "predator-proof" but I have read that they are great watch dogs and will help deter hawk attacks, which is my main concern because I had a hawk attack my favorite pullet a couple of days ago and I was only about 100 feet away and directly in its line of sight.

I didn't have great luck with geese.As goslings they were sweet,but soon started attacking chickens,children etc.I had to rehome to a petting zoo(not to pet but they were 'watch dogs")

ok, thanks. Yeah, I know there is a risk of that. But, I feel like I need to try something to deter hawks because I badly want to free-range my chickens, at least when I can watch them and I've read that geese can really help with that.

I bought my 2 White Chinese Geese as 1+week old goslings last spring at the feedstore. Even though I didn't get them when they were newly hatched, they still imprinted on me. They are both males, and they still follow me around everywhere and let me pick them up and pet them. They even listen and respond to many different voice commands that I have taught them, including when I ask them to put the ducks in the coop at night, and to get out of a too-small community water bowl. I love them. ^_^

For their housing, I built them a solid wood structure with a tin roof. It is about a foot or more taller that they are, and it has a door that I tightly padlock every night. It has a floor made out of stone pavers. This is located inside their run fencing, and the chain-link that encloses my entire backyard perimeter. They love their house

Quote:
the only thing a goose needs housing for is protection.. so actually a good fence is enough.

My geese prefer to stay outside even at minus 20F.. I spread straw or hay right on the ground for them to lay on..

I do have a fence for them, but seldom put them in it..

ok, gotcha... so the area where they'd be is surrounded by five-foot-high chain link fence on all sides. On all but one side, it is brand new fence that we had put in to keep our dogs secure (in another area) but on the other side of the poultry area, it is an existing fence that is kinda run down and has gaps underneath it so that coyotes and foxes can get in. Our chicken run is lined with concrete and enclosed in half-inch wire mesh, so they're safe when locked up. Will the geese get eaten by coyotes if I don't lock them up at night? We don't have the massive amount of money to spend on getting the line of old fence replaced right now...

Yes, Coyotes will take your geese, and so will some fox. I have friends that when they let their animals free range, they always loose some, they have chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese and peacocks. Recently on the turkeys and geese were loose and they lose a Tom and a goose to either the fox or coyotes in the area.

We have been fortunate, we have a good fence and not a lot of big predators, so our geese are allowed to stay out at night. BUT, we know it is a risk we are taking. When we move to a bigger place, I will have an indoor area for everyone. Right now, I don't have space for each breeding trio, when they are all together I could put them in one space, but right now they would fight.

Back
Top Bottom