1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best Hygrometer and Thermometer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OSUman, Oct 12, 2009.

1. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I am wondering wat you guys think is the best thermometer and hydrometer and where you got them from for how much?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  2. missfitch

missfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    well I think its called and acurite, get it at walmarts in the hardware department its an indoor out door thermometer, is 6-7 dollars, it has a both tempature and humdity, and it works wonders. if your using a still air incubator then you need to make sure its where the top of the eggs will be (we cut a ed carton to put it on) in a forced air incubator it does not matter as long as its somewhere Inside the bator.
    Hope this helps

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The best one does not come from Walmart. Those are all household thermometers, not meant for the pinpoint accuracy that incubating requires. I have used them, but now, have decided to quit guessing and ordered a proper one. One like the Egg-Temp by GQF or the Spot-Check (same one, different name, really) are the best ones that are within affordable range (about $25). If you will do more incubating than just once or twice a year, I'd say get a good one that has an actual accuracy rating (not range).

4. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Quote:OOO, great to know!
    thanks for that info

5. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Thank you. I will check those out too. I bought a Flukers and paid good $ and it is the most unreliable of them all!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have a Fluker's digital, too. The first one I got was "flukey", going all over the place, jumping two degrees at a time. I exchanged it for another one and this one is much better, though on occasion, I have to remove the battery to sort of reset it when it begins acting up. Again, that one is not made for incubating, but probably is supposed to only be accurate to within two or three degrees. It's made for reptile terrarium situations, I believe.

7. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I did not think to keep the receipt and I hate the way they look at you when you come in without one. I am chalking it up to experience. But good to know I wasn't the only one with issues [​IMG]

8. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    walmart acurite thermos are junk. i have three of them and they all read three different temps. work great one time around, then they go wild

9. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:hmm im on my second hatch with my walmart hygrometer and everything seems to be going good. gave me an 85% hatch ratio last time

10. Namble

Namble Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    North Florida
    I use a Brinsea incubator thermometer. Its very very accurate. Pretty affordable too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by