Best Hygrometer and Thermometer

Oh durrr - I think I had some terms mixed up when I was searching earlier. I looked again on Cutler's site and yup, there it is. I wonder what on earth I tried to tell that poor customer service lady ... probably that I wanted a hygrometer or a humidor or something. XD Warning for the day: Think, THEN talk! Not the other way around!

So we've heard about thermometers ... how about those hygrometers? I need a really good one! Got a recommendation?

I received my Spot-Check (was called Egg-Temp in the catalog, but same unit, different name) thermometer today. It works beautifully! Very sensitive, goes up and down in tenths of a degree. My Hovabator is cycling on when air temp gets down to 98.7 (the temp drops to 98.4 before starting back up). It then cycles off at 100.3 and the temp continues to climb to 100.7 after the heater cycles off and then the temp begins to drop back down. I do still have an AcuRite probe in the water weasel and it's staying between 99.1 and 100.2 or so.
I feel very sure of the Spot-Check's accuracy. It's a small unit with a lead that goes down into one of the vent holes and we've placed it to where it sits at the upper third of the eggs in the turner. Comes with a battery in it and I bought the pack of 4 extra batteries. I'll take a picture of it and show you the size.

Here it is. Sorry about the flash glare-my house is really dark right now:
DCP_4025.jpg

So, do you close the cap on the tube? Also, would you let it just hang?

I have 2 digital themometers and hygrometers and 1 analog hygrometer measuring my eggs.
the only problem is that NONE of them aggree... and they ar 1-2 full degrees F off in disagreement.

So, Im running on an average... which sucks ...

I just purchased a
IncuTherm Plus™ Hatch Monitor

What do you guys think of this product?

The other one I have is this one...
and it is Stupid SLOW, like hours slow, and I have no idea if it is correct...

Wow look what I found when I did a search for hygrometer !!

I have purchased 4 accurite thermometer/hygrometers from Walmart and realized they are junk!! Just what has been said here.
I have one receipt and will take at least one back, even though I bought 3 this year.

Two will match each other and none of them are matching any of my 4 Genesis 1588.

Now that time has passed...what are your favorite thermometer/hygrometers?

I have one Accurite themometer/hygrometer. I use it just for the hygro, the temp reading on it is WAY WAY off (almost 6 degrees)! But, I've calibrated the hygrometer, and it only reads 2% low, which I can work with.
As far as my favorite thermometer, its the Brinsea Spot Check, hands down. Its incredibly accurate. So much so that it freaks me out sometimes. It detects the slightest temperature change, so its always going up or down. But, its amazing!

Over the last few years ive had
a walmart
a digital with probe
a cigar hygrometer
.and my 1588 built in
.None keep the humidity where i want it i dont think.
I still have crappy hatches Dead chicks arent too wet..most make it to late in the hatch .I set my humidity at 35
Temp i have 2 thermometers and the 1588 self correcting heat and thermoneter. All right on..
.Over the years i have tryed everything to get better.different spots in the house. Plug in. Until lock.... plug out whole hatch.
.I know its me as a friend living not far away bought my eggs i was trying to hatch for a few years and she got a 99 % hatch.I get maybe 35 to 40 % on everything

Ive used bleach to clean it rinsed out well... this time trying oxine.
Fingers crossed on this one. ...but still need a new hygrometer .Might buy a repto pro this time.im at a loss.
Ive calibrated those that i could also

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom