Best Incubator and Turner for Call Duck Eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Scifisarah, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    I have had a lot of trouble with hatching my Call Duck eggs, including ones I have had shipped, and ones laid by my own birds. I currently have a Little Giant foam incubator with a computer fan that my husband installed and I hand turn the eggs three times a day. I can barely leave the house without the stupid thing having the temp swing way up or down and needing to be adjusted. Out of 6-8 egg batches I am usually lucky to get 2-3 ducklings. I would like to avoid having to hand turn the eggs. I will never have a ton of eggs with the 4-5 laying hens I will have next year so don't need a huge cabinet type incubator. What is your favorite small-mid sized incubator/turner for Call Duck eggs, other than a broody hen of course...

2. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    brinsea 20

3. Scifisarah

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    What is the big difference between the Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco and Advance? The EX is just way too expensive for me to consider right now. I would want to get it with the turner though. Is it worth it to get the Advance over the Eco for Call Duck Eggs?

4. ChickFila

ChickFila Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    R-Com king suro is good too.
    It has auto turner and auto temp & humidity control too. You just set the temp and humidity and leave it for 25 days, until lockdown.
    Quite easy.
    I hatched goose eggs well with r-com. I am setting duck eggs now and I don't know how well they will hatch yet.
    Also, R-com Suro is cheaper than Brinsea EX for the same functions and size.

5. Scifisarah

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    Where is the best place to buy myself the Brinsea 20 or K-Com Suro online? I doubt I will be able to find them locally...

6. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    brinsea.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by