Best indoor chicken breed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Can I ask where yo got your sebright? I will have a yard and thus can let my chickens out but would like to keep it inside alot. Did you get it straight run?

Also do you guys have any other breed suggestions for indoor/outdoor chicken, with 2 companions of same breed. I would rather it be litter box trained then wear a diaper tho. I was thinking about australorp or buff orp, is that stupid?

What are the tell-tale signs that a chicken is happy and enjoying life?
perky, alert and active, preening, scratching along in dirt, having a dust bath, stretching tall with wings wide, sunbathing, chasing a grasshopper, clucking along in a chipper tone, coming when called, crowing, entering the coop or run or crate without flogging, squawking, spearing or scratching , biting, kicking…
give me a sec.. more to come…

I have an EE crossbeaked house rooster and aside from the dust and the occasional crowing at 4am, it's fine. To add, I run air filters to help with the dust/dander.

He wears this diaper brand. He's bonded with my dog, cat, and human roommates. He's fine with a couple of boys in the my rooster flock, but he wouldn't survive outside because of his condition. He goes out when it's nice, stays in and sits in the window when it's not.

And no, my house doesn't stink. Your chicken is going to smell like its environment, like any animal. Hawke smells better than my dog.

So you do you, @Meri Maura.

Also do you guys have any other breed suggestions for indoor/outdoor chicken, with 2 companions of same breed. I would rather it be litter box trained then wear a diaper tho. I was thinking about australorp or buff orp, is that stupid?
It’s just not a good indoor pet overall.
Chickens may use a litter box but prob not for what you think. Pretty sure they lack conscious control over their ‘sphincters’ to run to the box. In fact, I think they lack sphincters, right?
Also, Take a look at You tube for chickens dust bathing. That’s what will happen with the litter box.

It’s just not a good indoor pet overall.
Chickens may use a litter box but prob not for what you think. Pretty sure they lack conscious control over their ‘sphincters’ to run to the box. In fact, I think they lack sphincters, right?
Also, Take a look at You tube for chickens dust bathing. That’s what will happen with the litter box.
My little chinchilla makes a makes a mess when he takes dust baths. I can only imagine the mess 1, 2, 3 chickens would make taking a dustbathe in the house.

I have an EE crossbeaked house rooster and aside from the dust and the occasional crowing at 4am, it's fine. To add, I run air filters to help with the dust/dander.

He wears this diaper brand. He's bonded with my dog, cat, and human roommates. He's fine with a couple of boys in the my rooster flock, but he wouldn't survive outside because of his condition. He goes out when it's nice, stays in and sits in the window when it's not.

And no, my house doesn't stink. Your chicken is going to smell like its environment, like any animal. Hawke smells better than my dog.

So you do you, @Meri Maura.
With respect, you have a special needs chicken making it more necessary to keep him inside for his well being, health and protection from bullying. The OP just wants a pet chicken for HIS/HER personal gratification. The comments in this thread to OP may be very different if the intended pet chicken would not survive and thrive outside with other chickens.
Apples to oranges here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom