Not open for further replies.
Pics

Meri Maura

May 2024 bring less misery 🥂
Feb 6, 2021
the BYC underground
My Coop
My Coop
What is the best indoor chicken breed? I don't like silkies. I've had a buff polish as a house pet, and would consider getting a polish.
I'm looking for the following:
~Small
~doesn't need a ton of attention
~doesn't need another chicken companion
~doesn't lay many eggs
~visibly attractive and fun
~calm
~doesn't try to poop all over everything
~would be ok wearing a diaper

Keeping a chicken as a house pet isn't the best idea in general.
1. Chickens are social animals, one chicken alone won't be happy
2. A chicken will poop, and and poop much more than a sane person is willing to clean from theirs floors
3. Chickens are farm animals, that spend their time with their flock foraging and looking for food, something impossible to recreate in a home setting

I say find a different pet for inside your home

Letting your chickens live outside doesn't mean they can't be your pets by the way

I dont have an outside!
You can’t get certain animals if you don’t have the proper means to care for them. After all, you wouldn’t get a fish if you didn’t have a fish tank, right? This is the same situation. Please do not make the chicken live like that. That’s stupid, selfish, and immature. Don’t sacrifice an animal’s wellbeing because it’ll make you happy.

A chicken is like any other animal. Let’s pretend it’s a tiger. You can put in a room, give it silk pillows and meals on silver platters, treat it like it's royalty. But at the end of the day, it's still a tiger. It's not a domesticated animal. It still wants to do basic tiger things - run, hunt, eat, mate, etc. Point is, it doesn't matter how well you perceive your treatment of the animal - if you're not meeting its most basic animal needs, it's a form of cruelty.
If you have a chicken inside 24/7, she can't hunt for bugs, or dustbathe, or dig in the dirt with her flock. She might not understand what she's missing out on, but she's missing it all the same. It's not fair to her.

What is the best indoor chicken breed? I don't like silkies. I've had a buff polish as a house pet, and would consider getting a polish.
I'm looking for the following:
~Small
~doesn't need a ton of attention
~doesn't need another chicken companion
~doesn't lay many eggs
~visibly attractive and fun
~calm
~doesn't try to poop all over everything
~would be ok wearing a diaper
There is no chicken that doesn't need a companion, is calm enough for indoor life, would be ok wearing a diaper (unless trained), doesn't poop much, doesn't need much attention....that is not a thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom