Jul 19, 2021
Hello everyone!

I'm starting to dream up some future breeds I want to create in the chicken world and one of which I need to produce a smooth feathered silkie.
I'm wondering if a smooth feathered silkie is a genetic difference from the silkie feathering (if it just randomly pops out) or if smooth feathered silkies are actually mixes of a standard breed and a silkie?

Anyone got any advice on where I should start to create a smooth feathered silkie?

I would like to keep the crest in the mix :)
I'm thinking polish x silkie?

Thanks!
White Valley Acres

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I'm starting to dream up some future breeds I want to create in the chicken world and one of which I need to produce a smooth feathered silkie.
I'm wondering if a smooth feathered silkie is a genetic difference from the silkie feathering (if it just randomly pops out) or if smooth feathered silkies are actually mixes of a standard breed and a silkie?

Anyone got any advice on where I should start to create a smooth feathered silkie?

I would like to keep the crest in the mix :)
I'm thinking polish x silkie?

Thanks!
White Valley Acres
Those are typically called "Satin" silkies, I believe. We have several that have every feature of a silkie chicken, but they have feathers which are are smooth as opposed to the fuzz ball look, so they have crested or vaulted heads, feathered legs and feet, black skin, five toes, but smooth feathers. How to breed those is simple, just get one. Perhaps look on eBay for smooth silky or satin silky hatching eggs.

Here's such a rooster at 3 weeks and 3 months.

Attachments

• chicks Millie at 3 wks..jpg
    chicks Millie at 3 wks..jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Millie 5-30-23.jpg
    Millie 5-30-23.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 24
"Smooth/satin silkies" are a result of introducing another breed preferably a bantam Cochin (or pekin bantam here in Aus) then breeding back towards the Silkie standard while retaining the smooth feathers. Personally I just call them Silkie crosses or projects since breeding out the recessive Silkie feathers takes time and patience for a bird that sadly will never be recognised as its own seperate breed

Attachments

• 20230814_174501.jpg
    20230814_174501.jpg
    680.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230814_173721.jpg
    20230814_173721.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom