Best indoor chicken breed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
A chicken is like any other animal. Let’s pretend it’s a tiger. You can put in a room, give it silk pillows and meals on silver platters, treat it like it's royalty. But at the end of the day, it's still a tiger. It's not a domesticated animal. It still wants to do basic tiger things - run, hunt, eat, mate, etc. Point is, it doesn't matter how well you perceive your treatment of the animal - if you're not meeting its most basic animal needs, it's a form of cruelty.
If you have a chicken inside 24/7, she can't hunt for bugs, or dustbathe, or dig in the dirt with her flock. She might not understand what she's missing out on, but she's missing it all the same. It's not fair to her.

My personal oegb and sebrights are not house material
Both are active foragers , very good and active flyers
I forgot to mention if you had them with diapers and could free roam your house. You could even let them be outside if you watched them, you could even harness train them.
I don't know if any chicken would be happy living in a cage, maybe Seramas in a very large cage?

I forgot to mention if you had them with diapers and could free roam your house. You could even let them be outside if you watched them, you could even harness train them.
I don't know if any chicken would be happy living in a cage, maybe Seramas in a very large cage?
For caged birds I think quail or budgies, finches, etc. would be a better fit.

An indoor chicken will survive, but I can say without a shadow of a doubt it will never fully thrive or be happy. My experience? My 20 chickens currently have 1800 sq ft. of indoor space which is the size of a house. They have roosts of all heights from a foot off of the floor to the 10ft. rafters, feeders are always full with high quality feed, fresh water etc. 24/7 my barn/shop building has absolutely everything a chicken could ever need to survive. BUT. What do my chickens do every morning when I open the doors? They go running outside and stay outside until it starts to get dark.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom