Best Layer "supplement" mix

MooreChickens22

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2019
Hi all!

I recently made my ladies a mixture of DE (FG), (scratch), dried herbs, dried worms, dried berries, oyster shell, and vitamins. This was super expensive for me to do but they loved it once a day thrown in to eat.

I really would rather buy a premade mixture in a huge bag if it exists. Anyone have any luck with a pre made mixture for added health and an extra boost of "stuff" for their chickens? I also give them a morning mash every day with electrolytes and vitamins.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome!
Oyster shell should be fed in a separate container, so they only eat what they need, and don't overeat it.
What is their basic diet? They are getting a lot of extra goodies, and aside from the expense, their diet may be unbalanced because of it.
Mary

They have a separate container of oyster shell as a free option. They get layer pellets as free feed. Then 1 cup a day of "treat" mixed with their layer pellets (2cups) as mash, I add water the night before let it sit in the fridge so it's cool for them the next day. (We are in AZ and the birds are just dying of the heat) 120degrees.

We have 10 hens who eat it, let me know what your suggestions are!

20190809_172223.jpg
I found a rooster feed that I like to feed as a treat for all my flock. It's a nutritionally complete feed with 13% protein, making it more healthful than scratch but just as fun and tasty for the chickens. It has peas, boss, fish oil, kelp meal, brewers yeast and other good stuff. Cost is $22 for 80 lbs which seems reasonable to me. I found it at a feed store that seems to cater to gamefowl breeders. My chickens go crazy for it.

More ice! 120F? I can't imagine!!!
That sounds like a lot of extras for only ten hens. Meal worms are insanely expensive, IMO, and their base diet is low protein. Extra vitamins shouldn't be necessary at all, especially if their feed is fresh, by mill date.
Mary

View attachment 1887847 I found a rooster feed that I like to feed as a treat for all my flock. It's a nutritionally complete feed with 13% protein, making it more healthful than scratch but just as fun and tasty for the chickens. It has peas, boss, fish oil, kelp meal, brewers yeast and other good stuff. Cost is $22 for 80 lbs which seems reasonable to me. I found it at a feed store that seems to cater to gamefowl breeders. My chickens go crazy for it.
Do you mind telling me what the name was called of the bag? This would be great!

Do you mind telling me what the name was called of the bag? This would be great!

Look for the feed stores where gamefowl breeders get their feed. They prefer feeding whole grain feeds like this rather than pellets. This is Farmer's Best Economy Rooster Feed, but different mills and feed stores will have their own rooster feed variations that are similar. One of the downfalls of scratch grains and treats is that it lowers chickens intake of their regular feed which has all the vitamins they need. I feel better supplementing with this because it's complete.

Back
Top Bottom