best material for roosting poles?

We use tree branches. They like them. I might consider something different if it got below freezing much, but it doesn't.

I'm using the rough bark section cut off of cedar trees when they cut them to make posts. If you have any kind of sawmill in your area, you might be able to pick some up for free. They range in width from 10" on one end to 4" at the other end. The chickens seem to love them and they can get a really good grip on the slightly curved surface.

I have a creek that runs down the back of my property so I have many branches that beavers have cut up that would fit in well in my new coop that have washed ashore since I have been living here.

Had round timbers, but switched to branches. They average 2 to 5 inches. They look cool and provide multiple levels like others have said.

I built mine using a standard closet rod pole, but while they do occasionally use them, they aren't roosting overnight on them. I think I'm going to change the pole out for 2x3's.

4-Finished12.jpg

I have my flock in a temproary set up. I have an old ironing board in there for them to roost on as well as an old hoe handle I found. It is about a 2x2 rounded so they get great grip and a decent size for them too. They accually can set on their feet using the hoe handle. And eventhough they have the irning board, they prefer the hoe handle. They will get up on the ironing board and perch there durring the day, but its the handle at night.

When we got our little prefab coop, it had 3 1x1s about 2" apart. And they had rough edges/corners. So dh took those out and put in a 2 x 4 with the skinny side up. In our new coop (which should be done this weekend) they will have a 2 x 4 fat side up.

Hmm..square and rectangle v. round and oval?
I don't think I've seen a square tree with rectangle branches. They could be like the 4 leaf clover most just don't spend enough time looking for them.
gig.gif

I would think a birds anatomy developed to take advantage of the round nature of tree branches, IMO.
Any shoe is...but some shoes just help you feel so much better. (Rockports, Mephisto's, v. Wallyworld brand etc.)

Back
Top Bottom