best material for roosting poles?

Madrone

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 24, 2011
I am currently using a variety of different diameter branches in my new coop, but from what I have been reading on here, it sounds like 2x4's may be the best choice? The branches look cool,
cool.png
, but if the girls would like 2x4's better, so be it. Thoughts? And how far from the wall is best?

I use nice, thick branches as well and I found the gals like them much better than the 2x4s. I place mine about a foot from the wall and from each other and also implement different levels and angles so that the birds have many choices of roosting comfort.

As a total rookie who doesn't even have chicks yet, but having read Chickens for Dummies and Storey's Guide, I've decided to use 2x4s, and rotate them twice a year. They will be upright during the warmer months, so their perches are 1.5 inches wide, and in the winter when I have to plug in the electric heated water dish I'll rotate them 90 degrees so that they sit flatter on the 3.5 inch side, so their feathers can protect their toes from frostbite.

I prefer branches. You have to get nice thick ones so they can 'sit' on them instead of wrap their toes around them. They love them, at least I like to think they do.
big_smile.png
Mine were around 4" across, and I had big birds like Cochins and Rocks.

we used a 2x2 that runs the center of our coop they love it and dont seem to have a problem covering their feet, have plans for redesign so that the girls use more of the coop as of now the tend to stay toward the front of it.

Outside I use to half cinder blocks I had laying around and an old piece of 4x4 my girls love to use the balance beam. I also have a log in there that the kinda like seems I use it more to just sit on and spend time with them.

Susan

Most agree 2 x 4 works great... I used landscaping timbers in my last coop but choose 2 x 4 in the new one for the light weight. I like both because it is easy on the feet and warm in the winter. I wanted light weight on the new roost so it could be on hinges and be towed up toward the ceiling for easy cleaning underneath.

33744_0906112025.jpg

We used Trex composite decking boards for ours only because they were 5 bucks a piece at our Lowe's at the time as someone must have canceled an order, I don 't know...but we got very lucky. We have a very weird mixed flock & w/ 3 silkie's I was afraid they would fall so the poop boards are like literally right under the roosts, but they do use the ramp & roost right on the boards sitting on their feet which hopefully will keep them warm in winter. The boards are nice as they don't have splinters, rot or harbor insects. I think it is a matter of preference, what one has on hand & what one can afford to spend....it's really totally up to you
wink.png

91292_dsc_0015.jpg

Back
Top Bottom