Best meat breed

Can you keep and breed Cornish×?

I used to get 50 cornish rock broiler birds every year and would process them in the 8th week usually. They had a small run but didn't free range I pushed the feed pretty hard.

The short answer is yes, but...the bird that is referred to as the "Cornish X" or "jumbo cornish rock" is a hybrid. Meaning it wont breed true. So you have to keep more than one seperate breeder flock to hatch them. Another thing is the cornishx is no ordinary hybrid. You can't take just any cornish roo and breed it to a Plymouth Rock hen and presto a jumbo cornishx. It is a multi generational process to produce this bird. The breeder birds used by large corporations like, lets just use Perdue as a possible example, are intellectual property. Compare it to any patented technology the birds with the recipe for a jumbo chicken are a closely guarded secret. These companies have unlocked natures secret mixture of genes and in so doing spent of millions of dollars and countless hours in research. So they don't let just anyone have the birds with those prized genes. They will sell them for the right price though I'm sure. Even most farms that produce our supermarket meat birds don't have the breeders on the farm. They are mainly contracted growers of chicks they never bred or hatched.
So you CAN keep and breed these birds. It is just practically impossible formost.

Last edited:
That bird is a production type Rhode island red rooster crossed with a Cobb broiler(I don't like the term Cornish cross).

I too don't like the term CornishX. It is misleading. I prefer the term jumbo commercial broiler.I see it as a fitting descriptor of both the bird and its intended purpose. A large bird bred to meet the demands of our modern commercial meat markets.

Last edited:
Half of them should breed true and the other half will be split between whatever the grandparents were. Due to the shape of Cornishx they encounter problems while attempting to mate the natural way. Artificial insemination is likely what would be required to mate two Cornishx's.

Back
Top Bottom