Best meaty for the heat?

GBov

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
I am just about to get my act together and order 60 meaties. Only problem is that way down South like we are, its hot! Even mid winter it can get rather warm and I have read that cornishX dont like the heat.

So whats the best meat for the heat? lol.

All birds suffer when it gets over 100 degrees. How hot is it in the middle of January down south where you are?

Today it was 80f. But its going to be mid Feb. before I get my birds so by 8 - 12 weeks from then it will be hitting mid to high 90s.

A lot of southerners do their meaties in the fall rather than the spring just for that reason. Give them lots of shade and ventilation for sure. I'd imagine the "freedom ranger" types would do better than Cornish crosses in the heat but I don't have experience with them.

I did red broilers last july and Austin broke every record for drought and days with temps over 100 degrees and that lasted well into late September. I think it affected the growth of my broilers. In the heat the birds drink more and eat less, so you get less weight gain I assume.

I did red broilers last july and Austin broke every record for drought and days with temps over 100 degrees and that lasted well into late September. I think it affected the growth of my broilers. In the heat the birds drink more and eat less, so you get less weight gain I assume.

Other than slower growing, were you pleased with them?

Yes, I was very pleased with them...the flavor was excellent more dark meat than a cornish cx and they ran around with my layers - very active birds.

Yes, I was very pleased with them...the flavor was excellent more dark meat than a cornish cx and they ran around with my layers - very active birds.

Were they tender? I eat roosters rather often but even quite young, 6 months or so, they are too tough to roast or fry so I really would like TENDER chicken as well as happy chicken lol.

Back
Top Bottom