Best nesting material?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cindyanne1, May 17, 2009.

1. cindyanne1

cindyanne1 Mother Goose

Apr 19, 2009
    Central Ohio
  2. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    I agree...it does look a bit uncomfortable.

I use hay because I have horses. If there's a messy one I will put some bedding in there for them.

My thoughts are...as long as there happy and clean....

3. red reaper

red reaper Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2008
    North Central Missouri
    don't use those things, the chickens will poop in the nests and make a matted up mess of them. I used to use straw, but they kick and shove it around to bare box bottom. I now use saw dust/wood chips like you use in a hampsters box. I buy it in a plastic wrapped bale about 3 foot long.about 5 bucks, It works great and keeps the eggs clean. They don't push it out of the nests like straw. I also use it to put on the coop floor. It helps to keep the litter from sticking when I clean it out. I get mine at the local co-op MFA inc. Truckers that use cattle trucks or haul pigs, also use this stuff to line their trailers for baby pigs. Lots of sale barns also use it to line the ring floor. Hope this helps.

4. Big Chicken Little

Big Chicken Little Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Hay/Straw ...LOL so you have to wash 1 in 10 eggs.... make hubby do it !!

5. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    I use cedar chips and my chickens love to scratch and nest in it. I say if they are happy i am happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by