Best nesting material?

cindyanne1

Mother Goose
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Central Ohio
What sort of nesting material do you all use in your nest boxes?

I'm envisioning straw or hay... my husband suggested these things:
http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft1_poultry_equipment-ft1_egg_handling;4d7f4bc8.html

... but they look just darn uncomfortable to me. However, my husband worries that straw and hay will get dirty and lead to dirty eggs.
idunno.gif

What do you think?

I agree...it does look a bit uncomfortable.

I use hay because I have horses. If there's a messy one I will put some bedding in there for them.

My thoughts are...as long as there happy and clean....

don't use those things, the chickens will poop in the nests and make a matted up mess of them. I used to use straw, but they kick and shove it around to bare box bottom. I now use saw dust/wood chips like you use in a hampsters box. I buy it in a plastic wrapped bale about 3 foot long.about 5 bucks, It works great and keeps the eggs clean. They don't push it out of the nests like straw. I also use it to put on the coop floor. It helps to keep the litter from sticking when I clean it out. I get mine at the local co-op MFA inc. Truckers that use cattle trucks or haul pigs, also use this stuff to line their trailers for baby pigs. Lots of sale barns also use it to line the ring floor. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom