Best option to replace cockerel with hen??

Belbris

Chirping
Feb 9, 2018
Nsw, australia
we have 2 australorp birds (almost 7 weeks old). No other chickens.

It’s looking like one of our chicks is a he, not a she (they were vent sexed).

We only want 2 birds in total, but can’t keep a rooster where we live. What would be the best option to move forward?
* get a new chick (but would it be too lonely on its own until it can go with our existing bird)
* get a new bird of similar age to the one we have?

Our 2 Australorps are very attached to each other. You take one away and they both chirp non stop.

What will be the least traumatic for the chickens?

Update: We will wait until we are positive it’s not a hen before we do anything. Just planning ahead should we need it.

Last edited:
... I would be absolutely sure you have a he (would be sad to part them on suspicion). If it is a cockerel, getting a new chick of similar age/size would be optimal. :)
I highly don't recommend getting one single chick to replace the cockerel... That leaves your one pullet alone until the little chick matures (generally not good to put chicks of different ages together).

13360E3B-F8B4-4705-8CE9-BB83934EE5B8.jpeg
517B2530-318C-4050-AA75-E000537FDDDB.jpeg
Can you post a pic?

... I would be absolutely sure you have a he (would be sad to part them on suspicion). If it is a cockerel, getting a new chick of similar age/size would be optimal. :)
I highly don't recommend getting one single chick to replace the cockerel... That leaves your one pullet alone until the little chick matures (generally not good to put chicks of different ages together).
No, will definitely wait to see that it really is a cockerel before we do anything. Just want to know what is best to do should we have to go down that path. They were a Christmas gift for my daughter so she is going to be very sad if it turns out we can’t keep it.

Back
Top Bottom