NineChickens

Songster
May 23, 2017
I love having my chicks just sit and perch on me but I dont think they'll be quite as willing (or small) to do it as they get older. Also they probably wouldn't be able to come inside. So I was thinking about looking into parrots. I already have research under my belt from previous years but I still have trouble picking out breeds.
The things I look for in a parrot are:
likes to sit on shoulders, likes to cuddle
Their morning and night screams aren't too loud (I have a little sister)
Independent at times (when I need to work they would need to be content sitting on their play stand by themselves for a little bit)
I'm gone about 8-10 hours a day but whenever I'm home they'll be out of cage
Willing to learn tricks (I like trick training)
Adapts to change well

I'm fine if it can't talk, I like the whistles better anyway

I know possibly a cockatiel or conure (I always fall in love with the green cheeks at the petstore)
What other parrots do you think would be a good match for me if I ever get one?
I'm fine handling big birds but I know they're loud so I dont think they'll be good for my situation

I have read parrolet are nice little birds. Lovebirds are another good one. Conures are loud no matter the varieties.

I own an Amazon. It's a very long term commitment, so if you are looking for a larger bird be aware they can be challenging. Cockatoo often have issues with bonding too strongly as well as African grey. Both types can be prone to self mutilation.

My Amazon is a moody bird, not exactly cuddly. I think you have to whittle your desires down as one bird cannot fit all your needs. Most parrots are loud.

Another option is a regular parakeet or budgie. They can become quite tame and can talk and whistle with have an ear drum splitting screech.

If I could go back in time I probably wouldn't have gotten my Amazon and would have stuck with a smaller species like the parrotlet or lovebirds.

Yeah, Amazon's, macaws, cockatoos, and Grey's dont seem like they'd fit me. I know parrots make noise but im looking for one that's not ear shattering and doesn't scream a lot. Like buddies, they may not be loud but they do talk a lot. I think I'd be able to handle the smaller conure noise but I couldn't deal with a bigger conure.

Yeah, Amazon's, macaws, cockatoos, and Grey's dont seem like they'd fit me. I know parrots make noise but im looking for one that's not ear shattering and doesn't scream a lot. Like buddies, they may not be loud but they do talk a lot. I think I'd be able to handle the smaller conure noise but I couldn't deal with a bigger conure.
My brother had a Quaker. That little bird was loud. I don't know if there's a quiet conure. They are even louder than my Amazon. I'd be curious to hear from others too, and their experiences. Those Sun conures are pretty little birds.

Getting a hand tamed, and raised bird no matter the species will help.

My brother had a Quaker. That little bird was loud. I don't know if there's a quiet conure. They are even louder than my Amazon. I'd be curious to hear from others too, and their experiences. Those Sun conures are pretty little birds.

Getting a hand tamed, and raised bird no matter the species will help.

Really? I've seen a hand full of quiet little conures

Just so were clear, when I say quiet I mean how loud they are,
When I say noisy I mean how much they talk.

I was referring to that screeching they do as normal vocalizations, most conures screech. Talking is a different thing.

I was referring to that screeching they do as normal vocalizations, most conures screech. Talking is a different thing.

Aaa, I think we keep confusing each other. I mean screaming as talking, sorry.
I don't really care if the parrot talks or not. I'm looking for one that doesn't scream often and really loud

We have a Senegal, due to the fact that we are with her all the time she is spoiled and she demands a lot of attention but is (relatively) quiet and usually chooses to sit on our shoulders, she chatters away to herself - doesn't say much that is recognisable except "You all right baby?", and likes having her head and neck scratched. She occasionally has screeching fits, usually accompanied by zooming around the house (we would not want to clip her wings). She does however sometimes try to bite - such as when she cant get her own way, gets startled by a tea towel or crackling cellophane bag etc.
They are known to be one person birds but she has bonded with both of us in different ways. She comes out into the garden in her covered cage (winter) and into an avairy in the summer, and seems to enjoy seeing our chickens too. ( 2 Orpingtons and 2 Speckldys)

If you are looking for something lower maintenance and not too loud, I would actually recommend a budgie. I've had quite a few. I never had a problem with them being loud or messy. They can also be pretty independent. If you get one at a younger age, they can be soo sweet and personable. I had one that we got at a young age, and she was the sweetest thing! Never once bit me, and I could walk around with her on my shoulder. I could even walk around with her outside and her wings were not clipped. The other 3 that I had we got as an adult and took more time to become tamer.

I've also had Lovebirds. They are much louder and screechier than budgies. Not to mention that they are SO stubborn. It hurts when they nip because their beak is much more strong than a budgies. But their attitude was quite amusing. They would literally attack my cat. They weren't afraid of anything:lau

Back
Top Bottom