Best Permethrin dust product advice?

Duckfarmer1

Crowing
Jul 23, 2019
Kane,Pa
So, yes..it’s happened...my birds have...the dreaded ...lice!! :(. I live in a very small town...no permethrin dust here..we went 40 miles today to check stores....nothing there either....so, I’m online looking at buying that way..sooo many choices!! I’d like to stay in the $7-8 range since I need at least 3 bottles. I bought DE...which I’ve been told it’s useless, but it was on sale...so, I thought, well give it a try? I obviously can’t use boiling water in the next boxes or any, for that matter...our temps have been around 8* this week. So..any suggestions would be great. I put the thread on here, because..I didn’t know where to stick it??

I thought I needed to put the dust straight on the chickens...especially since it’s the dead of winter...I can’t even boil water to put in the nest boxes...we are doing lime and DE and many coats of powder teramyacin...so nothing is wet....

Predators and pests would probably be the best place for this.
In the $7-8 range you could give this a try. Not sure how far you will get with it though. I would suggest getting the Permethrin 10 jug that you can mix in a larger garden sprayer.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...permethrin-citronella-spray-1-qt?cm_vc=-10005
I’m using a concentrated bottle of permethrin from TS, just this, to put in a sprayer for the walls in my barn...the goats have it too. It’s a mess. But we got a whole jug of just permethrin that you stay on barn walls. If I could spray the coop I would, but it’s too cool...everthing would freeze..it 2* right now, two day s we lost 8 eggs because we didn’t collect them fact enough and they froze and broke. So it don’t want to spray the birds..just use the use the powder. :)

Ok, I found one...at Ace Hardware...4lb bag $5. Hi-Yield Garden, Pet and Livestock Dust Dust Insect Killer 4 lb. safe for 100 chickens...I bought two bags. :) They will ship it to your local store for free...

Nice! Hope that takes care of the buggers!!
Do goats and rabbits get mites and lice?
Yes, but it’s different from species to species, so they can’t give the same lice to each other...is what I read...but, you can use ivermectin to treat the birds too. I also bought this permyth spray...at TS...to spray the barn...it’s safe for chickens too...I’m going to spray the coop and roosts...but still use the powder everywhere else...

Back
Top Bottom