Best pet breed that will lay eggs

Quote:
OK SOMEWHERE THERES SUDDENLY ALOT OF MISINFORMATION COMING ALONG HERE....

I'LL STATE THAT IN ALL EXPERIENCE WITH ANY BREED OF QUAIL, INCLUDING THE COTURNIX WHICH ARE THE HANDS DOWN UNDISPUTED LAYING CHAMPS OF THE WORLD THAT THIS IS NOT ONLY EXTREMELY UNLIKELY, BUT IMPOSSIBLE SHORT OF SURGICALLY REMOVING EGGS THAT ARE NOT READY FOR LAYING YET. IT CERTAINLY ISNT POSSIBLE FOR THE BOB SPECES... FROM 2 HENS IN THE PEAK OF SEASON 6 WOULD BE AVERAGE FOR 5-7 DAYS' TIME.

No perfect hen lays more than one hen a day...it takes 20-24 hours for an egg to get laid, hence why you get one egg a day from a hen...

The egg or ovum (the yolk)--> which is made up of approx. two thirds fat and about 1 percent protein--> is formed in the follicular sac and then drops into the infundibulum

After leaving the infundibulum , the ovum passes into the large section of the oviduct where thick layers of the albumen and the chalazae form around it.

The ovum moves to the isthmus where it stays for about 2 hours while the first two layers of the shell begin to form. The first two layers consist of soft membrane, the cuticle and the the testa.

The soft membranous egg then passes into the uterus, where it stays for 20-24 hours while the third and final layer, including the pigmentation is formed on the egg.

The egg is then laid.

Therefore one cannot get 6 eggs from 2 hens in a day

Quote:
She's got you there. I have the perfect Coturnix pair. One egg, every day, sometimes more than one day, but never less. 90% are fertile. She is a machine. I feed her, whatever she would like.

Quote:
Mine are all in the same barn, but we don't mix feeders or waterers and we do use hand gel before doing quail chores
smile.png

I also recommend the Jumbo Brown Coturnix. There are also breeders (like me) who will ship young or mature hens too
wink.png
I sell a lot of young hens for shipment. That way you know you are getting healthy, FEMALE birds
smile.png

I say jumbo coturnix too. It took about a week after I got my first "Gifts" from them to become regular but now I get 3 eggs a day from my 3 hens.

Back
Top Bottom