Best place for my coop? Or none of these at all....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ncstatechick, May 31, 2011.

1. ncstatechick

ncstatechick Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    Hi,
    I am new to this...which one of these places in my backyard might be the best place to put a coop. I am looking at getting 3 hens. Probably 2 EE and 1 Buff Orpington.
    Or 2EE and 1 Silkie. I am worried the silkie would get picked on though. I am going to have my dad and husband build me a coop from some plans. I am thinking it will be about 4x6.
    You can see how close our neighbors are our lot is 0.13 acres. If getting chickens is just a bad idea all around due to the proximity of my neighbors, please let me
    know. It wont hurt my feelings. I have seen several members on here that have chickens in really urban areas too. I went on a chicken tour in Raleigh a few weekends ago and many people lived in neighborhoods like ours. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    If it were me i would go for the spot in picture 3. Looks like it would have some good shade for summer.

3. ncstatechick

May 26, 2011
    Yeah I would have my husband cut back some of the branches of the cypress trees so it could fit there.

4. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    I like the third site the best too.

5. kira782

kira782 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Littleton, Colorado
    We have close by neighbors too and placement was so hard to figure out! We're not allowed to have a chicken coop 15' near a property line so that took out the best places in our yard to put it. I'm not sure how well this chicken thing will work out (getting our chickens at the end of June), I guess we'll find out soon enough!

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  6. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

I like spot #1

7. ncstatechick

May 26, 2011
    Quote:Do you have a picture of your coop?
    Do you have a back-up plan if your neighbors complain?
    What kind of chicks are you getting?

8. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    The best spot is away from your house or the neighbor home. The chickens are making a lot of noise & smell during wet weather and can create conflict.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  9. Roo on Harley

Roo on Harley Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Texas
    See if you have like a County Extension Office, somebody there would know the do's and don'ts of chickens, might save you some time and they are packed with information about chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by