Best Place to Buy New Hampshire Reds for Meat?

pnwchickgal

Hatching
May 19, 2022
Hi All - My first post, yay! I'm looking to get some NHR for dual purpose but mostly meat. Does anyone have recommendations where I can buy chicks online that favor the meat lines vs eggs? I spoke to a few hatcheries and they favor the egg lines.

Thank you!

Freedom ranger. They have the best meat line of NHs I've found. Originally bred by Henry Knoll. My last harvest of them I got 7lb dressed birds at 14weeks. The hens lay ok, and your breed stock need to be on a restricted feed so they dont get too fat.

Freedom ranger. They have the best meat line of NHs I've found. Originally bred by Henry Knoll. My last harvest of them I got 7lb dressed birds at 14weeks. The hens lay ok, and your breed stock need to be on a restricted feed so they dont get too fat.
Thank you, what feed do you recommend? Looks like Freedom Ranger won't have NHR until August but it's worth the wait!

Normal feed of your choice, just dont free feed. They will gorge themselves. Chick feed for the first few weeks can switch to an 18% till the ladies start laying then a layer. They will beg and act like they are starving even with a full crop. I have been trying to select hens to keep who have a lesser appetite.

Back
Top Bottom