Best place to get Silkies??

Broody Bist

Songster
May 7, 2018
CALLING ALL SILKIE OWNERS!!!!

So I’m REALLY wanting some silkies this year. I want to ask a few questions about where you got them and what shape they were in.

FIRST:
I DO NOT need any more roosters. The local feed store is where we have always got our chicks. They are always perfectly healthy (except for the occasional pasty butt, which we take care of once we get them home). BUT it never fails, we always come home with at least 1 or 2 roosters, even though the chicks are “sexed”. We currently have 5 roosters, and that’s after giving 3 away.
So please tell me, which hatchery is the most successful with “sexing”?

SECONDLY
I am a total softie, and finding chicks DOA would leave me absolutely devastated. So are there any hatcheries I can depend on for alive and healthy babies??

And LAST,
how many chicks would you suggest I get so that the Hatchery wouldn’t be likely to throw in any “packing peanuts”? If I’ve heard correctly, these are usually Roos. And I’ve also heard that these are thrown in if there aren’t enough to keep them warm, which is understandable. But, like I said, I do not need any more boys. I want some silkie hens, 5 at the max.

Sorry, I know that’s a lot of reading, but I would really appreciate any advice. If you know someone who might have something to say about it, please tag them.
Thanks!!

Thanks for tagging me! Okay, so I seI you’re in Georgia? Alabama Silkies is located in the Jacksonville/Piedmont area which isn’t too far of a drive, I don’t think. They sell various ages and varieties as well. Here’s a link to their website:
http://www.alabamasilkies.com/

Best of luck! If you have any questions, I’m happy to help!

Thanks for tagging me! Okay, so I seI you’re in Georgia? Alabama Silkies is located in the Jacksonville/Piedmont area which isn’t too far of a drive, I don’t think. They sell various ages and varieties as well. Here’s a link to their website:
http://www.alabamasilkies.com/

Best of luck! If you have any questions, I’m happy to help!
Thank you!!

Hatcheries aren't usually to blame for dead chicks. It's most often the fault of postal services. Just had to throw that out beforehand. :)

Also, there aren't any hatcheries which sex Silkies, since they're classified as bantams. Only place you'd be able to order specifically female Silkies (keep in mind, there isn't a 100% guarantee) is My Pet Chicken. :D They also don't throw in "packing peanuts," instead opting to set a minimum.

~Alex

Hatcheries aren't usually to blame for dead chicks. It's most often the fault of postal services. Just had to throw that out beforehand. :)

Also, there aren't any hatcheries which sex Silkies, since they're classified as bantams. Only place you'd be able to order specifically female Silkies (keep in mind, there isn't a 100% guarantee) is My Pet Chicken. :D They also don't throw in "packing peanuts," instead opting to set a minimum.

~Alex

Thank you so much for telling me that. I’ve never ordered from a hatchery before, I never knew that some of them didn’t sex bantams. Maybe I’ll have some silkies in a few months!! :wee

Thank you so much for telling me that. I’ve never ordered from a hatchery before, I never knew that some of them didn’t sex bantams. Maybe I’ll have some silkies in a few months!! :wee
You're more than welcome! :hugs I'm not aware of any hatcheries that sex bantams, other than Cackle (who offers those which are sex-linked upon hatch separately). :) Pretty sure My Pet Chicken is more of a middle man, appearing to source quite a few of their birds from Meyer.

Wonderful! :celebrate Please keep us updated! :D While hatcheries add in a heat pack when shipping during the winter, it would be best to wait until spring, or when temperatures are warmer. This would ensure a greater likelihood of survival. :love

~Alex

UPDATE!!
My aunt found a silkie farm nearby that had an accidental hatch while the owner was away for a few weeks, I was surprised with 6 little chicks for my birthday!!!!
E12E90ED-9978-4705-BE39-DD886267F01A.jpeg
(They’re in a little bed I crocheted for them:love)

Back
Top Bottom