Best place to lay

Dmontgomery

Songster
Apr 1, 2014
Longville, La
We had another RIR go broody this week. That's the 3rd one this year already. We have 18 nesting boxes, but the other hens seem to think this is the only one in the world. The box is only 12"x15".

I guess that's not entirely true. We also have one of the guinea hens who built her own nest in a pile of hay in the coop. She lays one per day and is up to 12 right now. Everyday we take at least 6 chicken eggs out of her nest.

Haha! That is a great photo! They always seem to want to be in the same place the others are! Guess they don't want to miss out. :)

I haven't quite figured out chickens yet. Maybe it's a survival response in which they lay a lot of eggs in one nest so that only one broody is necessary.

We had another RIR go broody this week. That's the 3rd one this year already. We have 18 nesting boxes, but the other hens seem to think this is the only one in the world. The box is only 12"x15".

I guess that's not entirely true. We also have one of the guinea hens who built her own nest in a pile of hay in the coop. She lays one per day and is up to 12 right now. Everyday we take at least 6 chicken eggs out of her nest.
Ha!! Great pic!
Maybe you don't care, but have you tried putting fake eggs in the other nests?
Might want to break that broody too.

They are quite cute!

What my theory is, they stay in the same nesting box and not the others, because they think something is wrong with the other box. Like; "Why is that one empty? What is wrong with it?" That is their logic.

I hope this helps!
-The Angry Hen

I haven't quite figured out chickens yet. Maybe it's a survival response in which they lay a lot of eggs in one nest so that only one broody is necessary.

Yeah, make one hen do all the work.

Ha!! Great pic!
Maybe you don't care, but have you tried putting fake eggs in the other nests?
Might want to break that broody too.

We've got fake eggs in about 5 other boxes, but these are boxes I just added last week. After building that other coop, I decided to try out exterior boxes to free up floor space in our coop. So far only our little OEGB has layed in the new ones.
Last night, I absolutely demanded that the new broody be taken off the nest and we not have any more chicks this year! And as always, nobody listened.

I had never wondered why before (duh!). I bet Angry Hen is right... something evolutionary, where they figure the nest must be safe and/or laying in numbers gives their egg the best chance at hatching or them the least chance of being eaten while laying.

They are quite cute!

What my theory is, they stay in the same nesting box and not the others, because they think something is wrong with the other box. Like; "Why is that one empty? What is wrong with it?" That is their logic.

I hope this helps!
-The Angry Hen

But they layed in the other box 2 days ago. It's right there! You have to walk past it to get to this one!

Lol! Well, from what I know... My chickens will lay their eggs everywhere, and sometimes go broody in the same box.

It depends what they feel like, my Speckled Sussex hens are the only ones that nest in the same box as my Cochins, my 3 Faverolles nest together in a different box.

It is normal and as long as they don't eat or break eggs, they should be fine!
Good luck! -The Angry Hen

Back
Top Bottom