Best Plucker

Just Ranchin

Songster
May 10, 2022
Out West
For those who have pluckers what plucker do y'all have and what do you like or dislike about it? It's a big expense and a lot seem to get bad reviews or good reviews until the second season when they no longer work. I am thinking it is time to get one but have concerns from a lot of the reviews that there are any that are good and will last. Also how hard is it to clean them after use? If I am doing 10 birds at a time is it even worth it or should I continue to hand pluck?
Thanks for the info in advance!

People that hand pluck are the ones that’s usually always done it that way so to them it’s not a hassle and just another step. 10 birds wouldn’t take long to pluck but with my yard bird plucker I can pluck 10 birds in about 4 to 5 minutes. Not hard at all to clean all the feathers fall out of a hole in the bottom into a bucket. Just use a hose to spray the feathers out. There’s not really anything I dislike about my plucker I bought it used for like 150 it had only been used maybe 3 times. I changed out the starting capacitor for 15 bucks and it’s been going ever since. I do 25-40 birds at a time. I can process 25 birds from kill to bag in about 3 hours taking my time to do it right and wife and kids removing the little left over pin feathers. I know the pluckers are expensive but you have to think how expensive your time is also. And having equipment to remove the hassle of something you enjoy makes it a lot more enjoyable instead of feeling like another job that has to be done. Also the reviews where the pluckers no longer work are probably that 15 dollar starting capacitor that takes 5 minutes to swap out you just have to spin the plucker by hand to get it goin if that capacitor fails.

We love our plucker! Ours is homemade but based on the Whiz-bang design. The only difference is we use a heavy fly-wheel at the bottom with a central shaft that goes up to a heavy duty drill for spin versus an on-board motor/pulley design. And 10 birds is definitely worth getting it out for.
DSCN9738.JPG
DSCN9752.JPG

People that hand pluck are the ones that’s usually always done it that way so to them it’s not a hassle and just another step. 10 birds wouldn’t take long to pluck but with my yard bird plucker I can pluck 10 birds in about 4 to 5 minutes. Not hard at all to clean all the feathers fall out of a hole in the bottom into a bucket. Just use a hose to spray the feathers out. There’s not really anything I dislike about my plucker I bought it used for like 150 it had only been used maybe 3 times. I changed out the starting capacitor for 15 bucks and it’s been going ever since. I do 25-40 birds at a time. I can process 25 birds from kill to bag in about 3 hours taking my time to do it right and wife and kids removing the little left over pin feathers. I know the pluckers are expensive but you have to think how expensive your time is also. And having equipment to remove the hassle of something you enjoy makes it a lot more enjoyable instead of feeling like another job that has to be done. Also the reviews where the pluckers no longer work are probably that 15 dollar starting capacitor that takes 5 minutes to swap out you just have to spin the plucker by hand to get it goin if that capacitor fails.
You just made the sale for me. ;) The majority of the complaints is exactly what you are saying and now that I know that I am going to look for one before winter. That is an easy fix. Not knowing really how they worked I wasn't aware of what could cause the problems I've been reading about. Especially if doing 10 birds is worth getting it out for. I have 25 to do currently and do them 5 at a time usually because I do them alone.
Thank you both for the advice and pictures! That is very helpful! So glad I finally asked about them.

I've recently purchased a Hatching Time turkey plucker and it was horrible. It did not pluck a single turkey. The motor wasn't strong enough and the plate simply stopped spinning when any bird over 11lbs was put in it. It also arrived with a broken feather plate and chute. The company replaced those for me, but has refused a return or a motor replacement. It can pluck a chicken but absolutely not a turkey.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom